What do you feed to your betta?

Coyote

Large Fish
Nov 22, 2002
Visit site
I have a female betta in my 20g community tank for few days.

On Day 1, I fed her betta pellets (Wardley brand) and she ate them. After that, she doesn't touch it at all. There's no sign of sickness on her and nobody is bullying her. In fact, she chases my swordtails away. Usually, she just takes a close look at the pellets and then go away. Last night, I tried boiled egg yolk and she ate it.

What do you guys feed to your betta? Is egg yolk a good diet for betta? What brand of dry betta food do you recommend?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2003
Egg yolk is good for betta fry, but is not necessary for larger bettas. The betta will eat practically any fish food, although can be finickey eaters. They are all different and like different things. In a yahoo group I am in, they are giving out free samples (you pay shipping) so no one pays money for a whole can of food that their fish won't eat. Its like a trail and error/ hit and miss type thing. Mine eat the exact pellets you are talking about, mixed with bettmin or tetramin flakes. They also pick at the bottom of the tank for food. Maybe your betta feeds off the bottom? Mine sometimes nibble on the sinking shrimp pellets used for my corydoras. Good Luck!

Alexa

Coyote

Large Fish
Nov 22, 2002
Visit site
Thanks folks. My betta doesn't eat Tetramin flakes. She does pick at the bottom of the tank for food but I can't see what she picks. I tried green pea last night and she had couple bites of it. I also tried Zooplankton. She's not crazy about it but at least she ate some. I'm going to get betta bio-gold and dried bloodworms later on. Let's see how she likes it.

Do Eat:
Egg Yolk
Green Pea
Zooplankton

Don't Eat:
Tetramin Flakes
Wardley Betta Pellets

Coyote

Large Fish
Nov 22, 2002
Visit site
No luck with Bio-Gold and freeze dried bloodworms. She took a Bio-Gold pellet into her mouth and then spitted it out. She didn't touch dried bloodworms at all. Do I have a picky betta or what?

Do Eat:
Egg Yolk
Green Pea
Zooplankton

Don't Eat:
Tetramin Flakes
Wardley Betta Pellets
Hikari Betta Bio-Gold
Top Fin Freeze Dried Bloodworms

Brobro

Large Fish
Apr 7, 2003
The Milk Carton
no hikari bio gold! my bettas love that stuff. my fighter eat nothing EXCEPT hikari, u must have a really picky fighter.

there is this food at my lfs called betta bites. my friend has it, and his fighter loves it. i dont know what brand it is.

Coyote

Large Fish
Nov 22, 2002
Visit site
My betta becomes less picky now. She even eats Tetramin flakes although she usually has couple bites and leaves. I think she didn't like dry food at the beginning but finally she has realized she has fast and greedy tankmates. If she doesn't get food now, she won't get any at all.

koston

Small Fish
Jun 16, 2003
Visit site
Starving Betta

My Betta doesnt eat the tetra bloodworm stuff or "Supa" fish food. It doesnt seem to eat. Will it starve to death? Is it being too picky? Will it eat before it dies?

Coyote

Large Fish
Nov 22, 2002
Visit site
My betta didn't eat any dry food in the first two weeks. The only one that she ate during that time was HBH Betta Bites. Now, she eats almost everything but freeze dried bloodworm. You may also try wet food like boiled egg yolk and pea. Remember not to put too much because they spoil the water easily.