Wendy's fish vet visit

Sep 8, 2005
My oranda Wendy started displaying some buoyancy problems last week along with an asymmetrical bloated transparent belly. It was an insidious onset. She started out staring at the side of the tank and sitting in the corner.

I initially thought perhaps she was constipated. So she was fed nothing but peas for a few days. She was then given Epsom salt baths, salt added to the aquarium etc. No improvement. I spent numerous hours researching swim bladder disease and other goldfish ailments. She was also given cod liver oil several drops twice a day. [ What a PITA finding that ].

I ended up having to net her for hours at a time as she was turning upside down and was getting stressed as she was not able to rest.
She would wedge herself in plants to sit upright. The other fish in the tank would lie on top of her to keep her steady and comfort her. It was an amazing sight to see.

I found a web site called koivet and a moderator there named eBay Queen who directed me to a fish vet in my area [Hour drive away }.

Wendy seen Dr. Roberts today and after a consult was anestisized [ with MS222 ] and x-rayed. She has a large fluid filled cyst on her right side which has pushed her swim bladder aside.

She aspirated 30 cc's of fluid [ about 10 tablespoons ] which alleviated a lot of pressure. There is still considerable fluid left which will be aspirated at another time. She may have to have an exploratory done if she does not improve or if the cyst fills again. Unfortunately she does not have an endoscope small enough to scope her so it would involve surgery.

I have to say watching the fish put to sleep and then seeing the x-rays was quite fascinating! She also took gill clippings and she has flukes!! I seen at least 6 on the slide through the microscope.

So tonight i treated the whole tank with Prazipond. Wendy was also given a shot of baytril prophylactically for infection.

The good news is Wendy is currently enjoying a meal of peas and shrimp which she has room for now. She is not flipping though is sitting on the bottom of the tank. I will probably net her for the night to give her a rest.

All her tank mates came up to her when put back in the tank as if to say " where the heck were ya! "

So what ever God you believe in say a prayer for little Wendy. She is a tough little gal who had a heck of a day.

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
That is just WILD Prettypleco, I have heard of fishyvets tho but I doubt there are very many. How the heck did you keep Wendy comfortable i.e. oxy., water (in or out) to keep her alive to and from? Thats just incredible.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Awesome, pp! I hope she has a full recovery! I'm glad you found someone who can help you. :)

The vets at my work are pretty good with the fishies -- they helped Mushroom when she started having her immune issues and helped dx/tx a bacterial infection in one of my other tanks. It's tough enough finding someone who will treat exotics -- fish are nearly impossible to find a vet for, usually you have to depend on other fanciers.

Sep 8, 2005
I am very fortunate to have one close by and a good one at that. She was wonderful with Wendy. I transported her in a 5 gal bucket with a portable aerator. We are in the middle of a snow/wind storm here so it was an adventuresome journey. Wendy "weathered" the trip well. I was more nervous than she was! She is a big gal so the bucket was the only way to go.

And for those of you who i know are dying to know the cost of a fish doctor... Here is an itemization of the bill:

On site fish exam; $49.70
skin scraping/gill snip; $19.64
Cytology/fluid-in hospital; $15.05
Baytril injectable; $10.00
Cyst-drain; $15.00
Radiograph 8x10; $76.13
2 doses prazipond; $8.00
MS222 fish anesthesia 1/2 hour; $25.00

All of the above were discounted to the price shown. Total discount $86.91
Total price paid $218.52
Wendy's well being...priceless. I love that fish!!!!!

Sep 8, 2005
A picture of Panda Paws comforting Wendy before her vet visit. He laid there with her for 3 hours this morning. I think he is an awesome little fish. Of course when she came home i fed her in the net and that didn't stop him from sucking all the food she dropped through the net. True love.

Charlius

Medium Fish
Sep 18, 2005
Wow, that's awesome that the he's not picking on her in the pic! I basically had all/most fish pegged as opportunistic (see weakness, and attack!!). That is so friggin' awesome to see!!

That bill really wasn't that expensive. I'd have paid it if mine got sick like that.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Glad to hear Wendy is doing better now. I love their fat little bellies.
Wendy seems like the perfect name for her too.....she looks like a wendy.
(no offense to any Wendy's out there....I'm not saying you look like a fish)

Sep 8, 2005
Charlius said:
Wow, that's awesome that the he's not picking on her in the pic! I basically had all/most fish pegged as opportunistic (see weakness, and attack!!). That is so friggin' awesome to see!!

That bill really wasn't that expensive. I'd have paid it if mine got sick like that.
I expected the bill to be higher and i am by no means complaining. I am really disappointed in the fish stores in my area. I went to 15 stores and no one carried medicated goldfish food. I was advised to flush her. ********.
I had my neighbor and husband come see Panda with Wendy. It really was awesome.:D

Sep 8, 2005
Limi310 said:
Glad to hear Wendy is doing better now. I love their fat little bellies.
Wendy seems like the perfect name for her too.....she looks like a wendy.
(no offense to any Wendy's out there....I'm not saying you look like a fish)
When i brought her home last year my immediate thought was the same as yours... she looks like a Wendy.
Sweet and sassy. :D

Sep 8, 2005
For anyone who is interested Dr. Roberts will be discussing Wendy's case and posting pictures X-rays etc. at koivet. I will post the link when she does.

Wendy came up to the top of the tank tonight when i came in the room and splashed me like she normally does. This made me very happy as she has been lethargic and just bopping along the bottom. She is also actively looking for food on her own and has not flipped over or listed to her side. Yeah!!!!!!

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I am happy to hear about Wendy's ordeal. I didn't know there were fish doctors. Our loving black moor passed away yesterday. He was upside down all the time and had trouble turning over. He rarely swam right side up as it was hard for him to maintain balance. I hope he was not in any pain. I wish Wendy the best. :)