Weird red spot on my blue gourami

prhelp

Large Fish
Apr 26, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
Okay, everything seems cool with this pair now. But I've noticed something over the past few days....

The male developed it first. It started near the tummy-side of the bottom fin. A red spot. About half the size of its dark spots, maybe a bit smaller. Honestly, it looks blood red. But there's no fin damage or any other indicator of anything wrong.

I've been watching the spot -- and it is moving toward the bottom edge of the fin, as if it's growing out with the fin or just moving out. This has been over the past 10 days. So if things keep going this way, I'd expect it to fade off the outer edge of the bottom fin soon.

The female LOOKS like she's getting one -- on her top fin.

Is this normal?

Again, they seem completely happy, and FAR more active than they were when i watched them in my LFS.

Oct 22, 2002
Sounds like a bacterial infection. I would suggest treating it now to prevent infection. Doesn't sound bad at all. Just jump on that treatment and you should be fine.

prhelp

Large Fish
Apr 26, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
Thanks, Colisa -- I thought long and hard about treating it, but because the fish otherwise looked okay, and because I'm just growing the tank, I opted not to just yet -- want to keep a close eye on it.

The red spot is now a pale brown, and is fading off the edge of the fin. Water change and removal of the giant danios helped, I think. They seem bluer than ever! What's up with that?

Thanks again.

exodon

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2003
western canada
www.myfishtank.ca
Are you using salt in the water?
It can be beneficial for mild bacterial or the start of infections.
Use with caution tho and watch that red spot.
Color changes in fish can typically be related to mood and degree of stress. Moving busy fish from a tank ( danios ) could result in changes in other fishes behaviors and coloration. It is different for every fish as some color more when stressed, some color only in the day, etc.
Gouramis are known for being susceptable to bacterial infections and fungus, but more often than not it is related to water chemistry. They are a good indicator fish as they will tell you when your water is changing.
As Colisa says, one should get onto diseases, infections, and growths right away because sometimes they won't fix them selves. On the other hand, its important not to upset the water with too much or improper medications.
There are alot of ... holistic... methods that are good, but prevention is still the best.

Do you keep different gouramis?
Hope this helps.

Exodon.