Weather Loach

Feb 2, 2013
I have recently bought a weather loach for our coldwater aquarium & it seems to have settled in really well with the comet, black moor & oranda who have been estabished for over 18months. I did notice when I bought the loach that it was slightly twisted & seems to be swimming, etc fine. Could it be that the loach has a deformed spine & does the loach need company/ i wa advised that you should have 2 but need advice, as the fish are in a 90 lirtre tank.
Thanks.

Feb 2, 2013
That's a cool looking loach!

That does seem like a lot to house in a ~24gal tank though. Comets alone can grow to over a foot long.

Joel
Hi,
Many thanks for that, it was the comet that started me in this fascinating hobby & I have learnt that coldwater fish can grow massive. I have recently ordered a 160 litre aquarium for the fish as Ihave had them all 18 months, but I am doing aweekly partial change & water test (which has been mostly good), to keep on top of the size of the aquarium until the new one arrives.
The loach is currently ontop of the filter as it is a place the fish likes & is very sociable. It is planted with false plants due to a massive algae problem in the past & with the waste products of the fish it is now more manageable.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i find all species of loaches do better with friends. i have 5 kooli loaches in my 20 gallon and when i had a 30 gallon tropical i have 5 dojo or weather loaches in that tank. in either case they tend to huddle together in the same cave and don't seem to be as freaked out. i also provide alot of hiding places for them. it may sound odd but if there are alot of hiding places in the tank they will be out and more active then if there is only one or 2 spots. i love loaches and i think it would be a good idea to get one or 2 more for that tank. alot of people will say now but i'm an overstocker. if u look at my signature u will see that lol. keep us updated and if there are any more questions feel free to ask and everyone here will try to help the best that we can.

Feb 2, 2013
Many thanks for that advice, I was thinking of getting another & have a few good hiding places in the aquarium, this loach is fascinating & it does not seem to be too worried by the larger fish or its spine problem.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
they are pretty calm fish untill a storm approaches. but for me at least when there are alot of hiding places they swim around alot more instead of alot of times just chilling on bottom or hiding. i loved it when mine would perch on top of my fake plants in that tank. he would tripod on the leaves. just their anal and pectoral fins would be touching like they were holding their body off the leaves.