Water Quality (Green Water)

Oct 22, 2002
Northern VA
I have green water and it won't go away....

A little background....

55g freshwater
3 Jacks
3 Firemouths
1 Black spotted eel
2 Mystery Snails
1 cory cat

Filters:
1 Biowheel 330
1 Aquaclear 200

Been up and running for about 5 months

Water tests:
Ammonia: 0 - .5
Nitrite: 0
PH: 7.2

About a month ago, I noticed that my water was getting cloudy. I do about a 15% water change once a week with Gravel Vac. I keep my hands out of the tank too. I use 4 extra bags of carbon and White Diamond Ammonia-Neutralizing crystals (2 each) in the tank. Water clears up but still mucky after water change and after a couple days, it's green again. What do I need to do? I bought everything new. Plants are plastic....I even take then out every once in a while and clean them off w/ cold water.
I'm lost...please help!!!!

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Cichlids are big eaters, so you'll always have lots of nutrients in your water. Nutrients are algae ferts, and the only way to really keep them in check is to do frequent small volume water changes/gravel vacs as well as regulating the ammount of food the fish eat so they get exactly no more or less than they need.

The other factor is lighting. If you have fake plants, then your light should be off except for viewings and feedings. Keep the tank out of any direct sunlight, away from windows, or away from room lamps that are on all the time. If the room is especially bright you might want to put backing on the sides of the tank as well.

~~Colesea

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Only urea (NH4) seems to be responsible for green water, not phosphates or nitrates.

You can get rid of it by running a diatom filter, UV filter, or black out the tank for a few days.

No matter how much water you change or how many filters you have, this stuff will not go away on its own.

To prevent this, you might consider purchasing a large cannister filter that will hold a lot of media (lots of media = lots of bacteria) so the ammonia will immediately break down. If it remains at low levels, which I suspect it is now, algae will take care of it for you.

Oct 22, 2002
Northern VA
I am a firm believer in under feeding, so I know that it's not overfeeding. How about a protien skimmer. I hear those things work wonders for salt water tanks, by swirling the water and only putting SUPER clean water back in...

Also, what is a diatom filter and a UV filter???

Oct 22, 2002
Green water does suck. As stated, ammonia seems to be a cause. Adding a biowheel filter may help, reducing light certainly will. These are all long term solutions, in the short term, you will have to kill off the existing green water bloom. This is done as stated before, by using black out, diatom filters, or uv sterilizers.

Black out is covering the tank for a few days allowing no light in. Photosynthetic algaes like that which causes GW will be killed.

Diatom filters use diatom skeletons to filter out even the smallest particles. This can clear your tank of GW in about 2 hours.

UV sterilizers kill living things in the water, so you'll end up with sterile algae free water.

Protein skimming is inefficient and uneffective in freshwater tanks, since it functions by creating foam, and only salt water foams up well.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
You may try to see if you can rent one from your LFS (non-corporate) first. If not, then look for a Vortex. You can find them at Big Al's (online) for about $65 I think. You may wish to consider a UV filter for $20 more. You can kiss ich, green water, and any other unwanted parasite goodbye...forever! I like the Custom Sealife UV's myself. You will need a powerhead to use it, unless you use a cannister filter, then you just hook it up in-line.

"Sterile" water is a huge plus for fish health!

Oct 22, 2002
That's the spirit Chris! :)

So, Avalon, you can sterilize water with a diatom filter & UV light on a UGF powerhead? I've been having problems with parasites lately, and sometimes I'm not sure what's causing more harm: the parasites or the treatment... Would this be a better (although high-overhead) way to treat parasite infections?

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Originally posted by happyfishies
That's the spirit Chris! :)

So, Avalon, you can sterilize water with a diatom filter & UV light on a UGF powerhead? I've been having problems with parasites lately, and sometimes I'm not sure what's causing more harm: the parasites or the treatment... Would this be a better (although high-overhead) way to treat parasite infections?

A diatom filter does a pretty good job at removing most free swimming parasites, however, they are limited use.

A UV filter can run 24/7 if you want it to. The UV filter would be the best way to keep a clean environment. The main difference is that the UV filter won't polish your water. Also, you would not have to mess with diatom powder either.

You could easily use a UV filter on an UGF powerhead.

If it were me, I would run a UV for about 24 hours or so once per week (all the time if I'm having problems), or after I add new fish. I would only use a diatom filter after setting up a tank, a remodel/cleaning, or before taking pictures.