Water Hardness

Desi

Large Fish
Nov 12, 2004
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
What product and method would anyone advise on raising my pH to keep my cichlids happy?

I've had them for a week now without paying any attention to this detail; any advise?

TaffyFish

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2003
Visit site

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
hmmm....I seem to be repeating this bit of advice - but hey, that's the way it goes sometimes

My 55 was dropping its PH by one point a week - so I got a bag of coral sand from the LFS (a couple of bucks), put a handfull in an old sock, then put the sock in the pre-filter chamber. PH is now stable at 7.3 - rock solid.

If you put the coral sand directly into the tank it's easy to over-do it, and a pain to reverse - use the sock method for greater control

one handfull of sand worked fine for my 55

TaffyFish

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2003
Visit site
My 55 was dropping its PH by one point a week - so I got a bag of coral sand from the LFS (a couple of bucks), put a handfull in an old sock, then put the sock in the pre-filter chamber. PH is now stable at 7.3 - rock solid.
...but what are you doing about what's causing the pH to drop by one point a week? Purple mate, you are making the basic error of treating a symptom instead of the cause. Over time, if you have not sorted out the problem in your tank, the buffering capability of the coral sand will be used up and your tank will crash.

you want your ph high with africans, like 7.8..
...all things are relative but 7.8 is NOT high, it's close the lowest parameter for Rift Lake tanks.

Last edited:

steve535

Large Fish
Feb 10, 2003
nj
Visit site
purple arent you afraid the old sock will kill the fish?my old socks will kill anything.
7.8 is on the low end for rift cichlids.wild cought will feel the pH stress more then tank bread.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
lol - you rotten lot.....

Taffy - the only thing i can think of that's throwing off my gh/kh is the sand substrate that's years old (came with the tank)

I have other pretty much identical set-ups without this drop effect

but surely to sort out the gh/kh balance i'd have to add something to the water - and probably every time i do a water change too

this way it's "always there" - and once it's exhausted it's simple enough to replenish.....unlikely to miss the tank sliding downwards - i check it every week cos i know it's dodgy (digital stick - easy)

natures bi-carb mate - lol

as you said yourself - stability is the goal

TaffyFish

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2003
Visit site
I dunno, do you have GH/KH balance problem or a pH problem? Silicate sand should be inert, unless there's something rotting in the sand - do you stir it every month or so?

If something is chewing up your buffer (KH) in just one tank, then this should show up in your KH tests as well as the pH tests. If the pH is falling because the KH is falling then you need to find out what's causing the KH to be used up rather than just adding more buffer - like I said, sort out the cause rather than treat the symptom.
Maybe the filters need a complete clean out, maybe a partial tear down would reveal the culprit? You don't have any new bogwood do you or recently recharged the CO2?

Last edited:
Originally posted by TaffyFish
The ideal Christmas gift for your beloved fishkeeping relative, one sock with a handful of coral gravel.....maybe a nylon for the ladies?
Now now Taffy I remember the Valentines bag full of fish.... next ya want us poor women to wear fish tanks on our backs :p... Hey Purple dont you go getting ideas old man cos the answer is NO.