Water cloudy after adding first live plants?

Abu

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Just added my first series of live plants to the tank - i'm still only 4 days into the cycling process. I noticed that the tank is somewhat cloudier than before. The cloud is not very dense but is certainly noticeable. Is this normal, and should i expect the water to become clear again over time? I purchased the plants from the LFS who picked them right out of his own fish stocked tanks (i thought getting them from a stocked tank might help with the cycling as well?)

Abu

Abu

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I am hoping to introduce my first fish tomorrow to start the cycling process once the plants have settled.

I'm getting some testing kits today to test for ammonia and nitrite. Is there anything else i need to test for at this stage, such as Ph levels and chlorine for example.? My local water company says that Ph levels for tap water in the area is 8.0, with water being hard. I've being using Aqua Plus to remove chlorine, but should i test for its presence as well?

I've finally opted for cycling using fish instead of going fishless. Everytime i read an article on fishless cycling i'm determined to go down the fishless route, and then i read another article/book on cycling using fish and it changes my mind. I finally spoke to someone at my LFS yesterday who also recommended doing it with fish so i'll give that a try.

Finally, i've already had a few suggestions on what fish to use. Ideally, what i'd like to do is use fish that i plan to keep in the long term rather than throwing a few fish in there for testing purposes. What fish did others here begin with?

Thanks for all the help.
Abu