water changes

Oct 22, 2002
I asked how to increase the growth rate of my fish, I was told that frequent water changes up to 10% a day would greatly increase the growth rate. Every time I do a water change my fish get extremely stressed, will they become used to these water changes in time? or is it just going to drive them insane for the rest of their lives?

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
How often do you normally change the water? Water changes shouldn't stress your fish.

Frequent water changes probably won't drastically increase the growth rate of your fish. But they certainly wouldn't hurt either. A lot of smaller changes are always better than a few big changes.

HTH,
Josh

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Increase the growth rate..what fish?

You dont have to do that many water changes to grow fast healthy fish.My fish freak out everytime I do a waterchange(except the barbs and shrimp), but they are so happy afterward.
Keeping the nitrAtes low is one thing.Weekly or twice a week at a bigger percent is fine.

I do a 25-30% once a week on my 29g planted, 40 to 45% on my 55 1/2 planted( a lot of fish), and a 50% bi-weekly on my 10 g.

Not over populating, keeping the fish load low to moderate will help.

More feedings(in smaller amounts) will help. If you feed too much too often, your fish will get big..but real fat..and unhealthy. My mother-in-law has this problem with the 55 gallon that I let her have now. Feeds once a day...but way too much. her fish are twice as big as mine..and they are so fat they look silly.

Keep your fish in a tank that is bigger than they need, will help them grow..and help them reach max size.

All I can think of at this time.

D

discusaquarium

yes, i agree with josh on this one. are you dechlorinating the water when you add it to the tank? or are you just adding straight tap water? chlorine will give the fish alot of stress. there is stuff out there called "stress coat" it dechlorinates and increases the body slime on the fish, making them happier and healthier. water changes should not stress the fish, in fact, after water changes they should be more active than ever.  ;D 8) ;)

Oct 22, 2002
I use conditioned water from a spare tank, the water quality is exactly the same, my fish are just totally freaked for an half hour after ward, just wondering if they will ever get used to me doing water changes

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
I am not sure how frequent water changes would make fish grow faster... I can see how it would help fish who are sensitive to high nitrates.  With Mbunas, and probably other fish too, if you change water frequently it mimics the rainy season which stimulates breeding.   (probably why my fish are always pregnant) :)

If you are doing so many wc's you might want to invest in a small pump - it makes moving water easier, and since the water would be returning slower than you dumping a bucket in, it won't stress the fish out.

JWright, glad to see you here.