water change

Oct 22, 2002
ok..i have this lil gold severum recently purchased..he's been great since i had him until a recent water change..the ph was close when i swapped the water but the temp was a few degrees colder.. is this enuff to change a fishes "personality"..it was very aggressive and active at 1st.. now is shy and timid..any ideas what happened ???

sharkbait

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Need more info.  How long ago is "recent"?  Was the tank cycled?  How much water did you change?  What is the pH?  What about ammonia or nitrite?  Any other fish in the tank?  
Just a few degrees difference really shouldn't matter.  

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
My firemouths did this same thing. Sharkbait you think you can help. When I first go them I had some smaller mbuna species with them and they fought. Then I gave them away and now they hide and everytime I come in the room they go behind the cave in the corner. At first they were active and floated and looked cool now the suk.

ryan ;D

Oct 22, 2002
ph is about neutral...it is cycled, two panda corys the gold severum and another smaller green severum..the gold was the dominant fish..oh yeah 30% water change, in a 10 gal hex..the others are fine..what gives??

sharkbait

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sorry, been away for the past few days.

(Limp Bizkit is on the radio........this time i'm goin to stand up and shout, i'm gonna do things my way, it's my way......my way or the highway) ;D
Kicka$$ song!

Ok, now back to the question...the severum isn't as active as when you first got it.  It could be a variety of things, but my first thought would be stress.  Severums can be shy when kept in a tank that is to small or one that doesn't have enough hiding places.  A ten gallon hex doesn't really give all that much swimming room or provide a place to feel secure. That would be my first guess.  

My second would be some sort of illness or definciency.  Have you taken a good look at it?  Anything out of the norm?  Spots?  Rashes?

I really think that if you got a larger tank he would be much happier.  Full grown severums can get to about ten inches, so a 55 g will be more suitable to your fish.

Ryan, maybe try some dither fish.  Some giant danios or something of the sort, small but large enough and quick enough that it won't get eaten.  It could be that the Africans kept your firemouths busy and when you took the Africans out they got bored.  Are there other fish in the tank with your firemouths?  Adding a few fish will often coax shy fish out of hiding.

Hope this helps  

Oct 22, 2002
looks healthy..and both severums are just about 1/2 thumbs length..plenty of hiding spots..i dunno maybe it just got "Lameness" disease ..sux for me..thanks for the help!

also freds a good director ..he just did staind new vid.."its been a while"...great tune  8)

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Shark.

You read that article on dither fish in Tropical hobbiest?  hehe..I was just going to tell ryan the same thing, giant danio and all.

Mr Football,

try some live food. If that dont make him happy, then you may have a problem that you need to fix.

btw..you use a declorinator for water changes?

sharkbait

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
MRB,
I didn't read that article in particular, but every article that I've ever read on the use of dither fish has always suggested, among others, the use of giant danios.
Here's an excellent article on the use of dither fish.  It's a bit long but worth reading.

http://www.cichlidae.com/articles/a042.html