Want to change my gravel, help?

Dec 14, 2010
Sunny California
I want to get rid of the gravel in my 27g in place of something more plant (and cory cat!) friendly. What is the best way to go about this? I have three angels and two cory cats, what is the best thing to do with them during this transition? Also, would I need to let the tank cycle or anything before readding my fish? Any help or suggestions would be fantastic!

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I also changed from gravel to sand for my corydoras. I had a 10 gallon tank to temporarily put my fish in since when changing sand it often takes a few days to let it settle, and you should turn your filter off for this so you don't suck up a lot of sand. To speed this up, look up how to wash your sand properly. I should have done a better job if this myself. As far as recycling, your tank might "mini cycle," so to help avoid this you should put your old gravel into a bag or a sock or something to help seed your new substrate with bacteria.
Hope that helps.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I'm sure it does a little, but most of the bacteria is on the hard surfaces of your tank, like your filter media, substrate, decorations, and possibly plants. I'm not sure about plants. I know that when I changed mine I was doing like two water changes a day to try and suck out the "milky" water since I did a poor job of rinsing the fine particles out of my sand before pouring it in. Really, as long as you save your filter the cycle shouldn't be too harsh, but just check up on your parameters for the first few weeks and make sure you stay up on water changes. Using the old substrate is only going to help you out though, and I'd really suggest doing that.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; If there is time before the change, put a sponge filter or two in the existing tank long enough to be colonized by bacteria. These can be placed in the holding tank and the tank with the new substrate. Have you ever washed sand thru a collander or other kitchen strainer? Do it over a bucket to catch the finer stuff, while the coarser sand particles remain in the strainer. You might also use screening material. It will depend on what size particles you want to end up with. Try a few with different sized openings.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
A sponge filter is a good idea if you don't have a cycled filter available. You could also find a non-toxic Rubbermaid bin and keep your fish in that and just run your filter on it like it were your tank.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I may have posted this before, but this is how I remove much of the fine stuff from sand. I buy regular construction sand. I sift the dry sand thru one of several colanders, flour sifters, or sifters made from screen wire. I try sifters with different size openings to see what sand particles get thru. I put the sifter over a bucket, pour in some dry sand and shake it. The small stuff will go thru and leave the larger material. It then depends on what size grains you wish to have in the tank. I usually discard the very fine material. Washing the remaining particles should be much easier.