VHO Ballast

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
My friend recently handed over an older lead Ballast, which can power two 48", 110 watt VHO's.

Eventually, I am going to build a hood for this(and to mount a single 40 watt bulb). My question is though, on my 55 gallon, the regular flo bulbs really don't hit the bottom like they do the top half of the tank in intensity.

What is the "reach" of VHO bulbs? 18 inches...24 inches?

I am planning on raising them (in the hood) above the water somewhat, as he suggested it would be even better to build a very secure hood, and remove the glass so the glass wont filter/block anything for the plants.

He also said the removal of the glass would help cool the water, as VHO bulbs run hot with the ballast he gave me(an electronic would be cooler).

SO, as to help keep the tank cooler, I didn't want them too close to the water.

Thanks  ;)

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The VHO ballast he gave you must have been a magnetic ballast.

I have my VHO's 3 inches from the water.  I just make sure the endcaps are water resistant (german) and have it covered from splashes.  Splashes to the main length of the VHO bulb is not that bad.

I also install two computer fans to decrease temperature.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
ok.

Yeah, I was also planning on some current with some little computer fans.

MY Air conditioning also blows in the direction of my tank, so the "in fan will be on the right, the out will be on the left.

Do you have both yours in or out, or in/out for circulation?

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have them both blowing in but since you have a freshwater tank, you can have one blowing in and the other blowing out.

In saltwater tanks, if you have them blowing out of your canopy, your fans will get salt deposit and rusts real fast.  I prefer both of them blowing in because it's sending cool air into the canopy, while hot air will flow out in open spaces.