Venting

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
I think I now know for sure why I don't do much business with Petsmart.
I got 3 Otos yesterday from them.  When I got home, I decided to check the PH in the tank, just to make sure I wasn't going to shock them 'cause I've heard they're somewhat fragile. It came out a nice 6.8. OK. Not what I try to keep it at, but liveable.  Then, since I had the test kit out anyway, I checked the water in the bag. Off the scale somewhere way above 8.6!  The color in the test tube wasn't anywhere near any color on the chart. I know there might be a slight PH change in that little ole bag, but c'mon!
I guess not shocking them was out of the question.
It took me 3 hrs to back the PH in thier bag down to a more manageable level.
Man, I'm ticked! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
I hope they're all alive when I get home.  They certainly have enough to eat.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
actually. i never ever thought of testing the water since the water is usually from the same area. good thing you tested. i hope your ottos are okay. they're very sensative to ph changes.

Oct 22, 2002
luv that word dodgy...but petsmart is a large pet
chain store..i've had pretty good luck with them..
but be honest...most of the kids that work there probaly don't know what the heck PH is..let alone now how to fix it..go with the smaller pet stores..i think there livlyhood depends more on keeping people coming back

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
ok :) i will never buy any fish from any poxy little pet shop, my LFS is the best in melbourne!!! (i'm not just saying that, it really is :))

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Petsmart is a very large chain of petstores and they are really uneducated there. I ask them about some oscars and they had to go through four people before they could get an answer and then it was wrong! STUPID!

Ryan ;D

R

ronrca

I never ask for info at Petsmart or any big chain stores. I research on the internet or books or even my lfs.