Vacuuming

Aug 20, 2005
Florida
www.myspace.com
I just got this vacuuming tube... it's not electric, just the one that will empty water into a bucket.. but i was wondering how much should i take out? Should the fish be placed in another tank while doing this? I've never done this before.. so i'm a lil on edge about what will be taking place in my tank while it's making all this movement...

when i do a 20% change i usually just take out the water from the top and replace it without worrying about the gravel or anything in the gravel...

so shoudl i just treat it like a 20% change, just taking from the bottom?

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
I have to totally agree on this. I didn't pick up my gravel vacuum for the first couple of months, and I must admit I was really hesitant to when it came to using it the first few times. Once you've done it a few times and seen how much gunk can come out of your gravel, you'll stop worrying and realize it's just another way of helping the lil guys out. I do 30% water changes weekly, and I always do it with my gravel vac now, kinda a two in one I guess eh? ;)

vinodhv

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2005
chapel hill, nc
i'm not sure how big your tank is but in my 55 gallon, i try to vacuum about 25% of the gravel each time. remmember to keep the vacuum on a certain spot for a couple of seconds to dislodge all the gunk from the gravel.
on a side note, my dwarf gouramies always come up to the hose and start nipping at it...don't know what that's all about.

Aug 20, 2005
Florida
www.myspace.com
55 gallon tank.. in my DREAMS (although i think i may be getting one for christmas.. my boyfriend has been hinting he needs to get me a huge tank *fingers crossed*)

It's just a 20 gallon.. and i vacuumed.. yea i noticed while vacuuming.. omg there was a lot of junk in there... and the water comes out so fast it was freaky.. but it sure makes my life easier now, i can see why everyone does it lol

thanks so much for all your help :)

vinodhv

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2005
chapel hill, nc
good luck with vacuuming. tell your boyfriend to check out craigslist. they usually have aquariums that are way cheaper than stores. i got my 55 gallon with everything included (stand, filter, hood, gravel, food, medicines) for $100.

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
when your doing a vaccum... yu usually do 50% and when i am doing my so called 'spring clean' i take all the plants down and strip it all down to just some fish in 50% of theoir water left lol to get all that old debris that sometimes i have missed... with the 20% you do those every week and do a siphon every 2 weeks... enjoy :D!!

bfish

Medium Fish
Jul 23, 2005
el cajon california
I have always heard from the lfs that I trust the most that no more than 25% a week. And leave the fish in the tank. Go thru the gravel that is where all the bad stuff is that you want out! Yes it makes your tank look like hammered dog doo-doo but that stuff goes thru your filter and settles back down. This is the optimum time to rinse that filter in the bucket of water you pulled from the tank. I am sure people will disagree on the amount and frequency of water changes but even a once a week water change is to much. The only fish and I am sure there are dissenters that need weekly changes are Discus. If you need to change the water more often then feed your fish less as you are feeding them too much.

bfish

Medium Fish
Jul 23, 2005
el cajon california
I geuss that last post made me sound like a jerk, as i was getting all authoritative. Is that even a word?lol anyway I do what a say once a month if that and have not had too many problems. I have had my tanks for over 7 years so even if I do not know what I am talking about I think I do. Does that even count. Someone will let me have it I am sure. Have fun with your fish they will keep you busy and really are source of great pride when people notice how sparkling your tank is. Have fun Perfect Angel!

TommyR

Medium Fish
Nov 15, 2004
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
Visit site
I gravel vac once a week, I change out about 25% of the water and I try to vac the whole bottom of my tanks or as much as I can. The smaller tanks (2 & 5g) I do the whole bottom usually, my 20g high I try to get 75% or more. I use a regular,suck start syphon vac.

Tom

Aug 20, 2005
Florida
www.myspace.com
wow u guys are still talking about this? lol well i still love my vac... i got a 50 gallon tank.. and have my two goldish (one large feederfish and one large oranda), plus i added a med oranda and another goldfish which is medium also.. but i have no idea what type he i.. just beautiful and all gold in there.

i vacum 20% each week but do it like half one week.. the other half of the gravel the next.

works out wonderfully, they are really loving their tank, and i'm loving how amazingly clean it looks (ALL THE TIME). Although it is a lot of work.... and omg oranda fish are no cheap that's for sure my large one was 26 bucks (although that's my man's fish (the one pictures).. and this new oranda was 11.99. i just got the two new ones about 2 weeks ago....

Anyway........ i still love my vac.. glad everyone loves theirs... and i have no idea why i am rambling on and on..