Vacuuming your tank...

pretz

Medium Fish
Sep 13, 2003
Visit site
I don't know much about vacuuming.

We have had a tank doing well for a while now... but I haven't been vacuuming. I don't know much about vacuuming.. can someone fill me in one what I need, how much it costs etc.

Is there a inexpensive way to do it?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
There is this tool called a gravel vaccuum...its what I use to siphon water out of the tank. You push the larger end into the gravel, move it aroundand it will pull the gunk out while leaving the gravel behind.

This is an inexpensive tool that most any fish store would have...they have different sizes for different sizes of tanks/gravel etc. Inexpensive...I'd say less than 10 bucks. I got one at a garage sale so I dont really know that I've looked at their prices.

Ah yes...www.petsmart.com they cost 2.49 to 9.99 for the largest size.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
5-8 bucks and you're set....the inventor was a genius....to start it just put the large nozzle thing in the tank, on the gravel, and suck on the long hose (try not to get the water in your mouth, but it wont kill u if u do)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
There are less nasty ways than sucking to start a siphon. I generally use gravity. There are usually instructions on the packet of the siphon. If you are lazy you can get a self-starting one with a little pump on it. :)

They're not expensive, and it's very easy to do. One piece of advice is to get a small one for a small tank and a large one for a big tank. The small ones are easier to work with in a small space, and the large ones take out more water faster. Trying to use a large one in a small tank is pretty hard to do.

PlacoMan

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2004
Maryland
Visit site
Get the gravel Vac and fill it with water, dunk the big end right side up (don't let the water spill out) in the tank and let the big end fill up with tank water keeping your finger tightly on the small end (if not you'll get wet) once the big end is full flip it open side down place the small end in a large bucket and suck a way! be sure not to crush any fish when cleaning. Push the Vac into the gravel and move it side to side / up and down, if the gravel travels to high raise the vac up until it starts to fall but not out of the water. when you are done or your bucket is getting full pull it OUT! Then re-fill your tank with some fresh H2O make sure to use stress coat to treat the water. Good luck!

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
i just made a diy siphon hose similar to a python syphon with 2" pvc pipe and plumbing parts and a 75 foot garden hose. ran about 20 bucks, but i dont have to lug buckets around the house anymore:D i hook up the hose to the faucet outside, fill the hose and the siphon, then unhook the hose and put the end where ever i want the water to go(assorted places in the garden:D) and gravity does the heavy work.:D after its done draining i hook the hose back up and fill up the tank through the same hose.

i used to use a regular siphon and two 5 gal buckets, i like my new siphon much better hehe.

Jan 25, 2004
Visit site
We have one that run's by the water... Just hook it up to the sink turn the water on, and it creats a sort of vaccuum type on thing and the water spills in. The, you close the nozzle and let no water go into the tub, and it comes back into the fishtank (We change it to warm)

ctxmonitor

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
All the gravel vaccuum in my lfs sell them for about 15 bucks. I oddly think that is way too much. So I have to resort to buying online. But then i have to pay for shipping that that make it about the same price. Too bad.. There goes my hand into the water and making waves onto the surface to bring those nasty poop out..

Nov 5, 2002
Auburn, CA
The Python is the best solution by far!!!

Sure you will pay at least $30 for the 50ft at BigALs online but the trouble it saves is well worth it!

If you get just a regular syphon most now have a valve that will allow you to vac without "sucking"

The one I had before my Python was easy . . . big part in tank small end in bucket. Quickly thrust the large part in and out of the tank. The valve opened and closed causing the water to get sucked up and then down into the bucket. Once the water flowed gravity takes over. For those without the valve you can completely submerese the entire vac (large end and all of the hose) in the tank and let it fill with water. Leaving the larger end in the tank place you thumb on the end of the small tube. LIft out of the tank and down into your bucket. Release thumb and this should start your syphon.

But . . . as I said untighten the purse strings and spend the $30 . . . you will be glad you did. No buckets no mess!

*celebrate