Urgent help required

Oct 22, 2002
I've got a goldfish (A) which I've had for about 1 year.

I kept it in a bowl with 1 other Goldfish (B), which died when I was on holiday about a year ago. I then bought another fish (C) which shared a bowl with (A) quite happily for about 8 months.

(C) then started to attack (A) about 1 month ago, by biting (A)'s fins, (A) became very shy and stopped eating. I then moved (A) & (C) into seperate bowls which seemed to result in (A) eating again.

However its fins have started to go black at the tips and become frayed, this has spread to all fins not just the ones where it was bitten. (A) now has black lips too, and in general is looking very grey/black in colour. It seems to spit out food after chewing and has balance problems.

I've tried water changes and disease safe but nothing seems to be helping, when I went to work this morning it looked almost dead - but it seems to be a little better tonight.

I would be grateful if anyone could advise as to how I should treat it or whether a humane death is the best thing.
:'(

Kristin

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
 Oh, you have a case of fin rot on your hands, which is a bnacterial infection that can also develop into a fungus. go right away to a petstore and ask them what the best medication is for fin rot. i have used some stuff called melafix which worked wonders, and it won't mess up the biological filter, so it is pretty safe to use. i would also add somee salt just as a precaution, about one tablespoon per 5 gallons.
 BTW, props on keeping a healthy goldfish bowl- this is hard to do for more than a month!

Kristin

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
 Oh, you have a case of fin rot on your hands, which is a bnacterial infection that can also develop into a fungus. go right away to a petstore and ask them what the best medication is for fin rot. i have used some stuff called melafix which worked wonders, and it won't mess up the biological filter, so it is pretty safe to use. i would also add somee salt just as a precaution, about one tablespoon per 5 gallons.
 BTW, props on keeping a healthy goldfish bowl- this is hard to do for more than a month!