[URGENT] golfish trying to breed? or harrasss ?

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
YouTube - Goldfish male is constantly after my fat Orangina

Please help urgently , i cant see tubercles on side of Male, he is unusually v large compared to female (Orangina) here.

V early morning, i woke up and as usual came to see the tank, lights are off , and this male was CONSTANTLY after my orangina. she was not looking stressed but was really getting rear-ended like a foxy getting rammed by homeless man in crowded ny-subway (juss trying to give u image.. i know i already posted a vid).

Winter hasnt even started here, i know the breeding season for goldfish is just after winter ends and temp's start going up.

I dont think this fish are above 3 yrs, I got them barely at 2 inches, v v little and they are with me for past 15-16 months (they were originally kept in small round 2 gallon jar).

So is this breeding? when will this stop. i am watching this male go at it for past 3 hours now. (yesterday i gave them blanched spinach so now they are not interested in pellets).

I tried to turn on tank-lights, then tried to give some pellets, the Male is not getting distracted at all, he is totally ignoring everything else, completely blocking it off his mind. What to do?

Just a background. the male and female are EXTREMELY close to each other all time for past 5-6 months, in this new tank , they almost shadow swim almost all the time. its hard to find them separate. but today the male is v v agressive, almost nuzzling and cornering and rear-ending etc.

I am v v confused. never seen anything like this. I hope i dont find orangina exhausted or stressed or something worse, when i come back home later. will keep checking for replies on my mobile.

please help.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
LOL!

Yea looks to me like it is breedin behavior. i cant really see clearly there but to me those white specs look like roe (her eggs)

The male is probably trying to squeeze/get the female to release the eggs.

Raising the tank temp would kind of make the females start getting fat with eggs. My oranda female has lived in a heated tank for...ever and is always fat like that. Ive seen her release the eggs, and i'm kinda sorry that no male goldfish is around...but the eggs dont go to waste, as my swordtails gladly eat them. Its likely that in your tank you wont actually see any baby goldies cuz the parents will always eat the eggs.

Its a sign of a healthy pair. keep them water conditions up :)

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
ahh , that calmed me down. i am back home. they male is now cooled down. and its all okay now i guess , orangina is still okay, playing around in sand. male is just moving around her calmly (he just doesnt give her any space or privacy..v possessive) .

I got Goldenish Apple Snail ( i was totally surprised that i got in shop. this big shop is really stocked with goodies i must say. only kind i hav ever seen) The goldies just inspected the snail and it going up and down . maybe eating algea or something, i will think bout him tomorrow.

Pheww that was close.