upgrading to 30 gallon from 10

Dec 18, 2012
south carolina
I am upgrading to a 30 gallon tank and im probably going to go hood less with it. How do I go about lighting and stocking more fish. In my 10 gallon I have a crowntail beta male, 3 sunset platys, 3 fancy guppies, and one chinese algae eater.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
If you are going hood less can I assume that you will have a lid of some sort? I could recommend having a lid because some fish are jumpers.
There are all sorts of alternative hood lighting, but I unfortunately am not very knowledgeable about the alternatives. I have always had hoods on my tanks.

First off I would recommend getting rid of your Chinese algae eater. They get big and aggressive! If you want a fish that will remain a decent size and be an effective algae eater I would recommend getting otos or a bristlenose pleco. I have had both and I prefer bristlenose plecos (awesome for algae)!

Are you planning on getting rid of your 10 gallon tank? I would recommend keeping your betta in the 10 gallon, because then you have more opinions for stocking your 30 gallon.
Some people believe that bettas get stressed living in community tanks because of fish movement, other fish nibbling on fins and fighting with other long finned fish (mistaken for other male bettas). While other people believe bettas can be totally happy living in a community tank. Food for thought!

Nachost

Small Fish
Jun 20, 2012
Is your tank rim less? Why not use a glass top for low profile? I hate the big bulky black tops that house fat lights. So I went with glass top and slim t5 lighting. I would like to go with led lighting in the future because the are even slimmer but cost more to start. They supposedly save money on the electric bill too and last longer but I'm not an electrician so couldn't tell you that I am certain lol. Good luck post some pics when you are done.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Is your tank rim less? Why not use a glass top for low profile? I hate the big bulky black tops that house fat lights. So I went with glass top and slim t5 lighting. I would like to go with led lighting in the future because the are even slimmer but cost more to start. They supposedly save money on the electric bill too and last longer but I'm not an electrician so couldn't tell you that I am certain lol. Good luck post some pics when you are done.
Good suggestion! Do you have picture of your setup?