Updated 65 Gallon planted Photos and a video :)~~

se7en2686

Medium Fish
Jul 24, 2011
Richfield Ohio
this is my 65G Tall planted tank. ive posted photos before but these are the newest ones i guess? lol...
tell me what ya think. the video is on youtube at this link sorry for the crappy music but my voice sounded awful on it lol.
Update 65 gallon planted - YouTube

sorry for the pics being so large not sure how to shrink them down without my photoshop being on hand :(

se7en2686

Medium Fish
Jul 24, 2011
Richfield Ohio
by the way im removing alot of the water cabbage almost every week if anyone wants it and is local its all yours... if your not local we can set up something for shipping just let me know how to ship it and send me the money for shipping and ill send right away... im in Willoughby ohio..
side note the top of the tank was cleaned after this photo i guess i should of taken the pics then >.>.... LOL

steve535

Large Fish
Feb 10, 2003
nj
Visit site
when ever I use water lettuce or cabbage as you call it it almost always ends up with Cyanobacteria. Blue algae surrounds the plants and they rot. You should try some water hyacinth or maybe bogbean (Menyanthes), they would offer more light and not cover 100% of the surface. They might look CooL with there roots dangling in the water.

se7en2686

Medium Fish
Jul 24, 2011
Richfield Ohio
i havent had any algae on these yet... ive had it for a while it was just when i got my new lights they took off.. i dont know if im doing something right on accident but i dont have any algae ever.. I dont know why but seriously i never have any... now that i say that ill walk into my living room and my tank will be green i freakn know it... lol..Also i called it water cabbage cause thats what i was told it was called.. apparently Watter Lettuce and water Cabbage are Damn near the same plant except lettuce can be planted underwater and Cabbage can not? was just some fourms
and comparing photos of both plants.. i wish this could be planted underwater my substrate would be covered... im going for a wild look in my tank and i want a carpet of plants.. not so much of just one plant but alot of different ones.. I actually got that plant out of a friends pond i
pulled 3 decent sized ones and stuck them in.. and boom took over lol

Feb 27, 2009
i havent had any algae on these yet... ive had it for a while it was just when i got my new lights they took off.. i dont know if im doing something right on accident but i dont have any algae ever..
Healthy plants can easily outcompete algae as long as the light/carbon/other nutrients are in balance. An excess of one or defiency in another, and algae can take the niche.

Cyanobacteria (sometimes called blue-green algae) thrives most often when there is not enough water movement (stagnated areas) of a tank or pond, and excessive nitrogen and phosphate.

steve535

Large Fish
Feb 10, 2003
nj
Visit site
True on not enough water movement. Most ponds have still water areas but the water lettuce has a tendency to attract Cyanobacteria like a sponge. For me its easier just not using it and recommending a suitable substitute. Pollen, runoff and a host of other things are always messing the water chemistry.

se7en2686

Medium Fish
Jul 24, 2011
Richfield Ohio
Water movement is most likely why i dont have it then. I have two Hob filters running together about 90G filtertration *No idea GPM ratings*
as well as on the bottom of the tank for my co2 i use an Elite Mini ac130 internal filter.. so i have quite a bit of water movement. thats prolly it then :)