Update on 20g Nano

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Update on 20g Nano...please note many large pictures so dialup beware

These are a few pics from the last couple days...tank has been up since august, and I think I finally have the rock how I want it

Whisper 40 filter for circulation, occasional carbon and whatnot
110watts of PC lighting (1/4 actinic, 3/4 10000k)
powerhead also for circulation
dose daily calcium and iodine, twice weekly strontium/molibendum and invert food
No skimming, though occasionally I run one if I am going to miss a water change by a day or so

try to change water 10% per week, sometimes I do 20% every two weeks depending on time

Kevin

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Guess that is about it...I have a lot more pics and quite a few larger ones if anyone is interested in seeing them but I didn't want to put anything bigger on here cause it makes it hard on dialup folk...if youve got any questions/comments/etc I would love to hear them.

Any thoughts on what coral to get next? I am thinking maybe some button polyps in a more exotic color...I have a lot of earth tones right now :)

Kevin

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the invert food, i think, helps some of the filter feeders (polyps, umbrella leather) which rely on more than just their photosynthetic zooanthylite organisms for food. I originally had a feather duster worm in their, which is why i had the invert food, but it was killed by a zebra crab (aka left handed hermit) but I elected to continue dosing small amounts. I think the Calcium and Iodine does more than anything for growth levels. Remember, too, the polyps and mushrooms have been in there since nearly the begining so thye have had a lot of time to establish themselves and grow. The rest of the pieces are about the size they were when i got them. (i think the star polyps have spread a little). they have been in between a month and 3 months each.

KB

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
lol @ cackett....get one dude ;)

jd_energy: yes, only the one fish at the moment. Generally, in reef tanks (esp. nanos due to the low water volume) sticking levels are much much lower than in a FW tank. That said, I could, could, add one more fish...but I think that would be about the limit. The Maroon Clow will reach a good 5-6in and will be intolerant of any other clowns/damsels so I would be limited to blennys, gobys, some of the basslets based simply on size. Now, you are thinking, "so what if the bioload goes up, minor mini-nitrate cycle, no biggie"....but many of the inverts (aka corals) are very sensitive to even small levels of ammonia/nitrate/nitrite so it is an iffy situation at best to add a new fish, not to mention the increase in bioload gives me less flexibility in H20 changes...would definitely need to get to it weekly (at least) or run a skimmer for safety, which complicates matters because of the addition of trace elements, which I do on a daily basis...one option would be to skim at night and dose in the AM...

long story short: one friend is feasable, thougn perhaps more than I am willing to take on at the moment...instead I would like to focus on my aquascaping and introducing some of the more delicate corals...

KB