Undergravel filters

bam

New Fish
Jun 21, 2016
I have a 29 gallon tank that has an Aquaclear 70 power filter. I was just at a mom and pop pet shop, and he told me that I should also have an undergravel filter. I'm just wondering what people think of this advice.

I had an undergravel filter many years ago on a 25 gallon and I hated it. Are they better now? It was such a disgusting mess. I've heard them referred to as undergravel filth collectors.

Thanks.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
They are indeed disgusting filth collectors. And you need to remove everything to attempt to clean them. As far as I know, the technology hasn't changed in many years, so the new ones are just as gross as the old. HOB filters are much easier and more maintainable. An HOB and a gravel vacuum are miles better than undergravel filters.

This would lead me to suggest you take any other advice this store offers with a grain of salt...

bam

New Fish
Jun 21, 2016
Thanks for your reply. I had the same thought. This was the same shop that told me it's ok to have six fancy goldfish in a 29 gallon tank. I didn't want to argue so I didn't say anything, but I know better.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I used UGFs 30yrs ago, but I wouldn't even consider one today. Looking back, they really serve no purpose other than *maybe* flowing some water across your substrate to make some nitrifying bacteria happy. Your AC70 HOB is a great amount of filtration for a 29g. Squeeze out the sponge and swish the bio bag weekly when you do your water change. Add a cheap sponge bubbler as some secondary/backup filtration if you have air running to your tank.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I ran a reverse UGF for a while a few year ago in conjunction with a HOB filter and I don't think you can beat the bioload capacity of using all (or a large part) of your gravel as a filter. That being said, when I got tired of looking at the towers I had to completely rip the tank apart to get the plates out and I don't think I'd voluntarily put another one in a tank, regular or reverse. I think the bio capacity is why most old school fish stores still use them (I know my favorite one does), but I don't think I've heard them actually recommend using them in home tanks, that'd raise a red flag for me too.