types of coldwater fishes

princey

Small Fish
Aug 31, 2005
Some come on guys what kind of fishes can i keep in a coldwater environment? *SUPERSMIL

It depends, if you're going for a coldwater TANK - there are more fish types you can put in them (even if some people don't agree 100% with keeping 'tropicals' with coldwater). If you're going for a pond, Goldfish and Koi are basically all you can really get :)
So, are you going for tank (if so, which size is it?) or pond?

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
ever think about keeping native fish??? they don't need heaters and can be kept indoors or outdoors. they have lots of personality and the best part is you get to go collect them yourself.

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
You can keep these fishes in a cold water tank (there is lots more though):

White cloud mountain minnows
Ordinary goldfish
Fantail goldfish
zebra danios (i know this is odd... but i have seen my lfs have them in cold water tanks :>)
eek.. there is too many fish to name lol.... have a search on google that may help or have a look in a book about coldwater fishes!

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Geez, Princey, there are actually loads of fish you can keep in cold/cool/temperate water. There are many Asian fish (mainly cyprinids) i.e., goldfish, koi, some barbs and danios, some varieties of loaches, fish from North America, parts of Europe.....

Many fish are not commonly known due to the popularity of "tropicals" even tho some "tropicals" do quite well in cooler or unheated water. Others are quite familiar but not always thought of as tolerating lower temperatures.

Even with ponds, you can keep quite a few popular types of fish in container ponds or garden ponds for the summer so long as the temp doesn't drop below ~65, 55 or so. (depending on fish) Even in New England, I have an astounding # of guppies vacationing in a 45 gallon container on my deck with some Mollies. My rosy barbs are hanging out with Mr. Big (pl*co) in my upper garden pond, with koi and goldies below in the main pond. The gups, mollies, barbs and Mr Big will be coming in for the winter as well as some of the goldfish.

What do *you* like?