turtles

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
im not trying to bring you down for keeping a wild turtle but the way i was raised leads me to protect my beleief that some animals should be left in their natural habitat. i have 2 wild discus, and i dont exactly agree with it but i enjoy them....so i can see where you may not think it so wrong.
think of it like this. there is a food chain and there are two turtles who should have bred but never did, because one was removed. now it may go a bit off because whatever would have eaten the baby turtles would have to find another food source.
ever been on the river? i go every year and catch crayfish, but ive been strict about letting them go afterwards in the place i found them.

does anybody get what im saying?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Many species of fish available in the aquarium trade are wild caught -- some are solely wild caught because they are readily available in the wild or have yet to be bred in an aquarium or farm setting. Any fish sold in the US (through a legal vendor) are legally obtained or at least legal to own (not on CITES etc).

It should be noted that, while the history of aquarium fish includes many cases of total extinction in the wild (with many species being found only in the aquatic trade if at all), now there is a genuine push to save the environment THROUGH the aquarium trade. Project Piaba is one such project -- encouraging native people to make a living collecting fish to sell and teaching the need to preserve the environment to preserve their livelihood. In nations where the rainforest is disappearing daily to make way for industry and farming, "farming" wild fish and keeping their ecosystem sound to keep their (frequently if allowed) unlimited supply safe is a great way to make everyone winners. :)

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
fish i suppose are ok
they did this with the tasmanian wolf/tiger and passenger pigeon as well
but most wild turtles are not kept to breed, but to just have as pets. which is why i see it a bit different. some people just dont know how to take care of them and thier varied diet and the animals suffer for it.

Last edited: