Tropical Goldfish

I had a general question here. . . I have a Telescopic Eye Goldfish in with the rest of my fish and they are mainly tropical fish. Is there a temperature difference that is vital to goldfish and not tropical or vise versa? My tank is steady at 75. All the fish seem to like this temperature and they all remain active. Is this okay?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
I wouldn't worry so much about your temperature as your stocking. Both tanks are seriously overstocked. Fancy goldfish require a minimum size of 20 gallons, with 10 gallons/fish beyond that. Yes, fancies appreciate more warmth than single-tails, but mollies appreciate even more warmth.

Depending on the pleco species, both of your plecs require a considerably larger tank, as does the yoyo loach. IMO mollies are 20+ gallon fish and cories appreciate being in groups, preferably with their own variety. With that coupled with simply too many fish in each tank..... You're likely to have problems sooner than later.

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
I agree with everything Seleya said, I was just wondering where you got the name Titus for your second Pleco. That is my dog's name. You are obviously into mythology, that is where I got it from, too. cool! Anyway, yes, you are overstocked, if you correct the probblems now you can save yourself a whole heap of trouble in the near future and still be able to have a really cool setup. Have you read up on the stickies about cycling? Anyway, if you have any questions we are all here to help. There are some really informative people on this forum who can always point you in the right direction. Welcome to the tank!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
No... cories are really active little fish. And they get to at least 2" unless you get dwarfs. You can usually squeeze dwarfs into a 5g or up, but not anything smaller.

Feb 25, 2006
Seattle, WA
Goldfish and tropical fish really don't mix well. Goldfish produce large amounts of ammonia, and have different feeding requirements than most tropicals. Even fancy goldfish don't like temperatures as warm as tropicals do, and the lower oxygen levels in warm water can stress a heavy-bodied fancy goldfish. Also, cory cats tend to do best in groups of at least 4 -6. They are very gregarious, and can become depressed if they are kept without enough companions. Minus the goldfish and plus a couple more cories, and you'll have a very happy tank!

Well I must say I'm greatful for all the advice you guys have given me. . . I'm thinking about getting another 10 gal. I just have issues about where I'd be putting it. I do know I'm over stocked in both tanks. The Golfish really doesn't mind all the other fish, but is definately the boss of the tank. I feed all my fish bloodworms and all of them absolutely love them. . . esp. my goldfish Pheobe she gobbles up half the cube before any of the others can get to it LOL.
But yes. . . if someone coulf do me a favor and based on what fish I have, could you tell me how I should devide the fish up between 2 10 gals and my 2.5? That would be most appreciated :)

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Phoebe needs at least a 20 gallon. If I am to assume both plecs are commons, they need a great deal larger tank than that - 55, 75, +, ++. I only have one common pl*c now, she's 4" and the result of my adopting a tank. My last common, Mr Big, lived in my garden pond until I sold him at a fish auction, he was *well* over a foot, not including his tail. The mollys and loach (which like being in groups) would appreciate at least a 20 long also. You really have more fish than 22.5 gallons will acommodate properly, especially if you consider their needs. The grouping is a bit of a hodge-podge. With that said....

Preferably, I would put the bronze cory in one 10, the albino in the other and get them both 2 - 3 matching friends -- mixed cories do school to an extent but are better in groupings of their own type. Mollies and a few other fish which come in color morphs/varieties seem to prefer being with 'their own'. Keep similar fish together -- neons with neons, gups with gups.

I guess you could put the mollies with the gups in one 10 and the platy with the neons in the other. The oto can go with the betta in the 2.5.

Since I left out the loach, you could also put the neons, gups and cories in one tank, the mollies and platy in the other with the loach.

Cories can be kept with goldies, especially paleatus. Some cories prefer much warmer temps than goldies but paleatus are fine with fancies. :)

I would LOVE to get a 20 gallon. . . however I have neither the money nor the space for it. . . as much as I love my Plecos I think I will have to pass them on one day. Not quite yet, they're still rather small. As for my goldfish, I think that she would like the open space of a 20 but she seems to be content with the 10. I have the goldfish and my 2 Mollies and a Betta in the 10, while the rest are bottom feeders. It gives her plenty of room to swim without there being a ton of traffic in her way.

Perhaps I will end up getting a 10 gallon anyway. . . that'll be 4 tanks. . . maybe in a few months when I see the growth of the fish that I have and see if I can swing it.
But for now I think that I've got some comfy tanks. . .a bit snug. . . but comfy.