Triple Betta Tank

May 31, 2016
Hello everyone! I would like to ask about new aquarium start up and compatibility of various fish. I was looking to get an aquarium and I have settled on this one....

http://www.bigalspets.ca/fish/aquariums-furniture/betta-trio-20755-html.html

Its a triple tank and it is specifically a betta tank. Its 8.4 gallons and therefore 2.8 gallons per compartment. I would like to put a betta into the center enclosure, however maybe put other kinds of fish in the other 2. I have owned bettas in my life, however I have only kept them in the small bowls (I know, I know, BIG MISTAKE! I know better now.) and I am new to a proper aquarium setup.

My question is what kinds of fish can I keep a few of in each compartment (the effect i'm going for can be achieved with having 2-3 kinds of fish in each in each of the 2 remaining compartments) and because the vented dividers circulate the water, the fish will be sharing the same water. Thus, they need to be around the same p.h. tolerance and temperature range. Also the more attractive fish the better. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
There aren't a whole lot of species that can really thrive in a 2-3g space, but there are a few. I think having multiple types of fish in the other 2.8g sections is not going to work though. The problem is there aren't all that many single, small fish - lots of the smaller fish require schools, and having the 6+ individuals that schooling fish require is just too much in a 2-3g space.

Look into killifish; there are a few species which would do very well in a 2-3g space, and are very colorful. They jump, so make sure it's covered. Another fish that is becoming more available is a scarlet gem badis, they stay tiny and have personalities. For a different option, you could do shrimp in one section, possibly with an appropriate fishy companion. Nerite snails are also a good option to add, and you could have one in with your betta as well - nerites don't overproduce like many snails tend to do.

Jul 16, 2016
Probably would just be best to get three bettas, one for each section. You might be able to keep 3-5 small tetras like neons in one part at a time but as a rule of thumb you should have at max 1 fish per gallon. You would probably be better off getting a larger aquarium.

Jul 4, 2016
That size tank is only good for one betta. Bettas really need a bre minim of2.5g, and that's with no other tank mates. If you want a betta with other fish you'll need a bare minimum of 20+. Now, there is a lot of fish you can do in that size tank, but not with a betta. Also no dividers. You could do a school of 6-8 CPD's or ember tetras. You have a lot of possibilities, just not with a betta. Neons shouldn't be kept in that size tank, they need a 20+. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't use that rule of thumb... 1 fish per gallon? So in a ten gallon 10 oscars? No offence, but I'd use AQAdvisor as rough idea of what you can have in there.