Top Fin 30 filter.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I realize these are the ghetto filters of the segment , but I figured I would post my experience with one so far.

Pros:

1) Documentation and setup was simple.
2) They're relatively inexpensive.
3) Made in the USA.
4) Lifetime warranty.

Cons:

1) There's very little room downstream of the filter cartridge using them as designed. Less than a 1/2" slot is all you got. The only thing downstream of the mechanical filter cartridge is a thin black bio sponge, mashed between the filter cartridge and filter outlet.
2) Not the quietest. The motor is silent, but after a few days of use, the impeller is making a cavitation type noise like you see posted so commonly these days with Aqua Clears or the likes. The noise doesn't bother me, as I need it to sleep (been a shift-worker for ~20yrs).

Are there any proven DIY filter/bio media offerings for the ghetto fin... er.. Top Fin HOB line?

Thanks!

Joel

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Is it a big enough space to do a DIY deal - using (clean, unused, not chemically treated) pillow stuffing or similar as a filter floss? Might give you more room for other stuff in there.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I know of one thread out there, where a guy stuffed one full of bio sponge only. There's not a whole lot of space in the reservoir on them. From the pic, you can see the V-notch where the OEM style cartridges are supposed to go, then a thin black bio sponge goes between that and the outlet. Very little capacity upstream of the filter.
Aquarium004.jpg