Tooj's 29g

Tooj

Medium Fish
Apr 9, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
hello there
i thought id share some pics of my tank. People on this forum have helped me set it up, so i thought id share.
Any thoughts, comments, suggestions; good or bad, are welcome. Always looking to improve, especially if itll motivate me to get another tank!

Attachments

Tooj

Medium Fish
Apr 9, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Nice! I like the zen look! Where did you get the rock? LFS or Hardware store?
thanks =) hardware store, went to home depot. asked the guy if they had slate rock....he said hed check...turns out there was one more pack left on the ground in the corner. the price tag said $24...so expensive...anyways, picked up 2 tiles, went to go pay, aparently the slate tile wasnt listed in their invintory, so they gave it to me for a dollar each! anyways, thats what that cave like structure in the back left is made of, the other rocks are from a LFS

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I really love your 'scaping! Nice job. The only thing I might consider at some point is moving the plants - or adding more - to further camouflage the filter tube and heater. But I'm big on the way plants soften the look, and that's just my thing . . . .

Tooj

Medium Fish
Apr 9, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I really love your 'scaping! Nice job. The only thing I might consider at some point is moving the plants - or adding more - to further camouflage the filter tube and heater. But I'm big on the way plants soften the look, and that's just my thing . . . .
thanks =)
your absolutly right. were on the same page. im slwoing building up more plants, just cant decide which ones. ive tried to design the aquarium so that the fish cant hide from me! hahahaha, they can hide from eachother, but not from me. i have some grass like plants in the way way back, and i found putting that in front to cover the filter obstructed my view quite a bit.
i was thinking about getting a moss ball or something and letting it grow on the rocks and stuff to soften the look of the place. any experiance with moss grown in that way? does it completely take over the aquarium? or is it slow growing enough where it would only go where i want it to?

mariners

Large Fish
Aug 31, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
That slate looks really cool! (giving me ideas!)
What you could do is get some white/cream card and use it as a background, that way it will be able to hide some of the wiring/filter without having that typical background picture...hope that makes sense!

I also think the plants in the back right corner look great, have you thought about expanding the same sort of thing all the way across the back?

Tooj

Medium Fish
Apr 9, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
That slate looks really cool! (giving me ideas!)
What you could do is get some white/cream card and use it as a background, that way it will be able to hide some of the wiring/filter without having that typical background picture...hope that makes sense!

I also think the plants in the back right corner look great, have you thought about expanding the same sort of thing all the way across the back?
a white card sounds like a good idea, thanks!
ive been trying to stay away from the typical background stuff...none of that really appeals to me, but a white background sounds like a good idea

the way the tank is set up (at the moment ) doesnt allow for plants across the back of it. i didnt really measure anything out properly when i was designing it (and buying stuff) so theres very little room to actually plant plants, except the very right hand corner of the place. the rest is covered in rocks that arnt very deep. thats why i have the java moss in some places, just to soften the look of it somewhat. the slate rock cave actually takes up quite a bit of space (didnt plan on it). it touches the back wall and goes about 2/3 of the way forward

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
You could always use some plants that don't need to be rooted in substrate, like hornwort, and secure a bunch with a metal band so it sinks - then you can easily move the 'bouquet' of plant stems to hide equipment. Instead of a moss ball, which IME eaither grows into a bigger ball or loses its shape and becomes a mat but doesn't seem to attach to anything - java moss would be cheaper and easier to do what you are talking about. Also, anubias and java fern don't need to be rooted in substrate, so you could also place those plants in and around the slate and let them slowly grow in . . . . .