Tom's 55 gallon #3

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
My new 55g is up and running. I picked up a 55g kit this past Saturday (7/30/11) (and got it $40 off the regular price). I spent a few hours that night breaking down my first 55g, which was a planted tank. The Coralife dual lighting system will go into storage (next to the Coralife quad light system). The remaining plants went into three other tanks. I put about 20 pounds of EcoComplete into a 14g and about 80 pounds into storage.

Here's the new tank. I went with a Top Fin starter kit, because it was almost as cheap to buy this than an empty tank. Plus I wanted the lights to put on this tank. The heater will go into a 30g tall and the filter will go into storage in case I need it one day.

I already had a stand, which I had bought along with the original tank and about 50 pounds for small, brownish-colored gravel. The tank was not that great to begin with, but $50 for the stand and gravel was a steal.

I was given a 55g about 18 months ago (which is where the brown gravel ended up). Anyway, that tank came with some white gravel that had hints of green and other colors in it. I looks pretty cool...and was FREE. Can't beat that.

This new tank was set up on 7/31/11.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Another package came in the mail today. I picked up this Fluval U4 filter on sale for $50 with free shipping. I've seen it sell for about $80. I currently have the Fluval U1 in a 14g tank and I have a U2 still unused. I've had these for several months and so ar have been impressed the the performance of the U1. I've come to prefer the internal filters over the HOB kind.

As for fish I currently have three jewel cichlids in the tank. That's probably all that will be in this tank, unless I get a pictus cat or something similar.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I saw the picture previously that you had of the castles and attached buildings. I used Plexiglas mirrors on the back of two of my tanks (fish, even the bettas have had no problems) and I was wondering how that idea would go with your decor. Perhaps you could paint some dark clouds on it. I don't know if it is possible to get Plexiglas tinted like glass. If it can be tinted you could possibly do blue or gray. Some where I heard they tint auto glass after the fact. Don't know if that is a fact or not. I like your wizard. Merlin??

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Just a note: I used a scroll saw with a hacksaw blade to cut plexiglas. You can't put masking tape on the backing of the Plexiglas - mine was blue - the tape pulled the tape off. Sorry, but I don't really remember if I cut it from the back with out the tape or did it from the front. I cut it so if fit on in between the top and bottom frame and it has stayed in place partly because of the HOB filter. I am not an artist or a painter but I have used white shoe polish on windows with success and it is removable if you don't like it. You could probably figure out a way to tint it gray or maybe use a mixture of white with gray highlights or visa versa. Tempra paints should be good, too.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Yesterday I received my "Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil, See No Evil" skull ornament. I put it into the tank last night and it looks pretty cool. I might add an airstone so they can spew out of the eye sockets. I've added two photos; one has a can show the relative size.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Tomorrow I will be returning one of the two lights included in the kit. The light worked one day then stopped. Tried switching out different parts but that still did not help. Petsmart said bring it in for another.

As for my castle decore I am going to have to delay that purchase. I just paid $560 today for a used (but in great condition) Mini 14. Fish tanks can wait; I've waited nearly 18 years for a Ruger. :D

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
The old 55g was old and starting to show it's age. I clean a tank as a side job, and figured the money from cleaning a tank twice would be enough to purchase a new tank, so why not? Right now it's just sitting on my front porch. Hopefully someone will take it, even though it does not come with lights (but does have a filter, but no media).

If my brother still lived near you I would have donated the old tank to you. I'd have him drop it off at your place with a note reading "have fun cleaning this...and good luck!" with a new unicorn just for you. :)

A 75g would be nice, but I'm happy with a 55g (plus I'd have to upgrade my glass canopy and filter).

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
LMFAO

idk what id do wit a 55g...after i had moved up to the 75g i would never be able to do such a...smallish not wide tank :) so much more room and gallonage to work with. maybe someone will [ick it up for a lizard...or you could use it outside to grow plants :) lol