toadfish/lionfish

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
so i have a 20g or something i could set up for one of these guys.
anybody have past experiances?
anybody know anything about them other than they sit there all day and eat big food every so often and they have big hard feces.

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
speak of the devil, on my trip to one of the local fish shops to buy some filter cartridges tonight, guess what i saw. lol. a freshwater lion fish. $59.99. it was about 6 inches long. didn't move the whole time i was there. a bad-@$$ looking fish tho. looks just like the pictures in that link i gave ya. they said they have it in a brackish tank, and just keep small feeder goldfish and big feeder guppies and thats what it eats. with the size of the fish there, i'd say you would at least need 29 gallons, and that is probably not enough for it. i bet a 46 bowfront would be the best minimum size tank for it.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
pish i dont have a tank for him. ive read around that you dont need a lot of space for him because he doesnt move a lot.
i have one at my lfs, dont know how much he was though. wasnt looking at the pirce.lol. but he was in with a mekong puffer that i might get as well. so maybe ill turn my 55g into a brackish tank. :)

and i really want one, to try something new and all. i wanted to do saltwater but certain things emptied my fish fund pretty quickly and i figured out i wouldnt be able to afford it. but then i really want my freshwater community with my angels, so i dont know.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
He doesn't need a lot of room but you still have to consider the size the fish gets to. Mine pretty much stayed in a cave all day and hunted at night. A 29 or 30 gal would be minimum for one around 5-6 inches in length, but eventually I'd say no less than a 55 would be needed in the end.

They don't seem to be really fast growers only needing to eat a couple times a week.

If you want something cool that can live in a 20 then go for a "prehistoric monster fish" or "star gazer" as they are commonly called. They are the only true fresh water relative to the FW lion fish that I know of. These guys come from SA and just need a deep sand bed. Where they will cover themselves up leaving only their eyes out and hit pray that swims overhead.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
o wow Pure you have had everything, havnt you!!!

so if, per say, i did get one for the 55g what tank mates could i have with him if any?

and what would i feed him?
sand would be best substrate, right?
and a clay pot would be ok?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
The pot would do wile he was small. They really like rocky over hangs and for decor that would be more like his natural habitat.

For tank mates you have to choose carefully. The fish needs to be larger than it's mouth as to avoid being eaten. I kept mine with ruby scats, their body was tall enough that he never messed with them.

yes yes I've had a few tanks lol.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
:) well i'll think about that, i kind of like the scats. thier beautiful and ive actually wanted them before.
so in a 55g with a freshwater lionfish
could i have mono sebae?
or green scat?
what about a mekong puffer?

and is brackish a lot more work than freshwater. is it kinda like saltwater?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I've often wondered about keeping lions SW or BW with larger puffers as both species would probably totally ignore each other. With the lions having the poison spines and all. Yes even the toad has poison spines.

Brackish is a bit more work than FW. It just requires the mixing of the salt in a tub prior to the WC. Using the tub method that you do...well you're already acquainted with the dealings of a WC from a tub. *Again good reason to invest in a pump*

As for the Mono or a Scat they should work, but only one or the other. Not both. You also want to keep in mind that as both the scat and the lion get larger they will need to be increased to marine conditions.
Not sure if the Mono follows the same guidelines.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
Pure said:
You also want to keep in mind that as both the scat and the lion get larger they will need to be increased to marine conditions.
what exactly do you mean by that?
and i think i might do this, just as a learning experiment. then maybe keep a journal of it to help others interested in this fish thingy magiggerness. :p

ive read that you can keep mroe than one together and that as long as thier about the same size then they should be okay together but one will still try to eat the other. what do you think about this?

and what kind of rockwork would i be needing?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
That means that as the fish gets larger they venture out into the open ocean more and more until they don't return to the brackish inlet. So in the tank as the fish gets larger you slowly increase the amount of salt or "specific gravity" of the water until it goes from brackish 1.012-1.014 until 1.022 (ish).

I sold mine to a guy with a 220 gal tank set up for keeping just toads together. So yeah they do fine as long as there are no major differences in size.
With the rock you want to think of a pile of them making a wall with large flat pieces hanging out over the substrate.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
ok so i have to decide now if i want to do this little experiment and get into brackish or go with my original plan of having my nice happy community tank. *sigh*
what do people think? would you like to know all the stuff about the toadfish as i go through keeping him?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
I wonder if that is what this ugly* thing was. I saw it at the New England Aquarium in Boston. I forgot what the label on the tank said...but he was pretty big from what I remember.

*Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :D

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
sadly, due to thier poisonous selves, i am not aloud to have one.
sadder...the manager at my lfs wants me to quit my job, which i am regarded highly at and am working myself up to team leader in, and work for him, which would give me a chance to study the lil' guy...but i can't.
its like one of those things you want so bad but know you cant.

TX8balls

Small Fish
Dec 26, 2006
TX baby
lioon fish are pretty cheap in san antonio we got like a 4 inch lionfish for like 20 bucks and he never got much bigger than that but i was only around it for like 5 months then moved away from my dads house we had 3 in a 75 gal bowfront