Titanium Ground Probes

R

ronrca

I wouldnt bother with them. I have heard some people saying that there might be electrical currents in the water because of heaters, motors, etc. but in a freshwater tank, its not worth it. Maybe in a saltwater tank. By actually grounding your tank, you can actually increase the risk of electrical currents and shock because the water is now at ground level. Im a Electrical Engineer so naturally Im interested in electricity and I have not found any evidence suggesting electrical currents in freshwater tanks. So, I would not worry about unless you dont feel comfortable without one. I dont have any for my tanks.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
For any aquarium use, I would just get a GFCI outlet for anything dealing with water.  It's the same thing you encounter with the hairdryer and the cord.  It stops all circuit and stops you from getting electrocuted.
Some of the powerheads and other equipment have been running for more than 2 years in some of my tank and I have a feeling someday it's going to fry.
Also, I go a slight shock from a RIO pump that malfunctioned and that scared the heck out of me.  So install a GFCI and it will save your life.  A grounding problem will save your livestock.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Yes, I didn't know too much about electrical stuff until I got into the saltwater aquarium stuff.  Saltwater is just a better conductor of electricity therefore I was kind of worry about it too.  The information I received were from reef forums and almost everybody recommended getting a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter.  It basically short circuits the power/electricity when there is a stray voltage.  You can buy one that you can plug to the wall or if you have eletrical experience, you can install one.  The message also talks about grounding probe.

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43949&highlight=gfci

Some people make their own GFCI if they are handy with electrical wiring.  Do you ever notice the red reset button when using a hair dryer or other devices in the bathroom.  The GFCI just trips when there is a stray current and everything that is plugged beyond it trips too.  Here is a DIY one. Look under hardware.
http://www.rl180reef.com/frames.htm

Remember that a grounding probe does what its name implies.  It provides a ground for stray voltage from powerheards/lighting/filters.  That stray voltage usually can your whole fish/corals in a saltwater tank because saltwater has high conducticity because of the salt ions.  Therefore a probe in a freshwater wouldn't be an added plus but a GFCI is a must.

Believe me, I got shocked slightly twice by different electrical equipment.  And a GFCI is only $10-20 at Sears, Menards, or Home Depot.  

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39454&highlight=gfci

sjogren1

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania, USA
Heavy debate on this at Reef Central. I know it applies to Reef Tanks, but none-the-less, fascinating reading. Thank you very much!  *thumbsupsmiley* This is the kind of info I came here for. Am I ever impressed. This message board rocks!

R

ronrca

GFI stands for ground fault interrupter. That means that the plug has a "mini-breaker" in it. If there is any current that flows to ground, it will trip. Even a little current will make it trip because water and electricity dont mix. Electricity flows from hot-neutral/positive-negative and so on. On a plug, there are usually 3 prongs kind of in a triangle with the bottom prong usually being round. The two flat prongs are the hot-neutral/positive-negative. The round prong is the ground. In homes, by the Electrical Code, everything has to be grounded. Bathrooms and outside plugs must be GFI because of the risk of moisture/water that might create a shock.

It is most advisable to use a GFI plug when the application to close to moisture/water. Something else important is that everything be grounded. Most pumps/heaters/filters etc. have a ground (the round prong) so it is nothing to worry about. However, the plugs/receptacles must be grounded in order for it to work properly.

There is no such thing as 'stray voltage' in a 120V system. The reason is first of all, everything is grounded. Second of all, the voltage would be so small it would not be noticeable. And third, if you do have a 'stray voltage', you have a problem with equipment or wiring and it must be fixed anyways.

In nature, in rivers, lakes, and oceans there are naturally occuring currents (electrical) because the earth has a magnetic field. My post is getting far to long so I will not get into it.

If you have a salt water tank, it will not hurt to use a ground probe. Accidents can happen and saltwater fish a much more expensive. Freshwater it would be useless as freshwater has a lower conductivity as saltwater. Pure water has no conductivity because of no impurities.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
A GFCI Outlet is a very good suggestion for any tank..fresh or alt.  

Just the other day, I was cleaning a filter put it back in and was reattaching my Co2 line when my fingers and arm hurt. So I got out of the water..and doh..put my hand back in with the same results. So I unplugged my heater and it was gone. That scared me.

Another time A filter was too high and spatting water in the air..that was getting on an extension cord for an airstone....that shocked me real good.

So a GFCI outlet is a great suggestion. Do they make an strip or extention cord with that in it?

R

ronrca

Another thing I would like to quickly mention is that when grounding the aquarium ie. grounding probe, you are actually bring the water to a 'ground potential'. In a 120V system, there are 2 potential levels, 120V and neutral/ground. The reason people are getting shocks is because you are at a different potential than the tank is. If you ground the tank, you will not get any shocks because you are now at the same potential however, this can actually increase the risk of shock because you are now completing the circuit to ground potential using the water as a conductor. Id rather not have any flow of electricity through my tank or water.

I hope I am making some sense.

R

ronrca

Ruby, the reason your arm hurt was because of what I mentioned in my previous post. You are at a different potential than the water. When doing a water change, you can ground the tank but like you did, just unplug the heater.

Im not sure if there are any extension cords with GFI. I doubt it. The best thing to do is water prove the connections by using electrical plug. If water gets on anything else besides the connection points, I wouldnt worry.

sjogren1

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania, USA
In the reply that I received from dattack, I was referred to a Reef Central posting. One of the postings there, from RFK on 11/01/2001 01:22 am, mentions that a 2' GFCI extension cord is obtainable. See:  http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=ebb204aed2bb5b2f51760543aaba1aca&threadid=43949&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You can get a 3' extension GFCI at Home Depot for around $25.  I think I bought mine at Sear's for less.  Anyways, if you can do some wiring, you can install a GFCI for 7-8$.

R

ronrca

After having lengthy discussions about this topic, here is my summary (I'll try not to get technical).

If you live in Canada!
In Canada, you can feel safe. The CSA approval mades the equipment 99.9% safe so you dont have to worry about extra protection. However, I would like to know if anyone has had problems with their equipment failing and causing harm.

If you live in the US!
I would actually recommend grounding your tank. The reason is Im hearing more equipment failure than in Canada. I think that it is because we have different standards and regulations.

If anyone has any questions, please ask!  *thumbsupsmiley*