Tiny swordtail

Mar 19, 2007
I have a swordtail fry, and its around 7 months......its tiny.
Its still the same size as it was when it was 4 months....is it my fault that its not growing??? Its in a ten gallon with another swordtail that is a few months older and fully grown male...I feed it crushed flakes and sometimes boiled egg yolk...am I doing something wrong? I mean, the other fry is doing wonderful! Please help!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Small tanks and bad water conditions will stunt the growth of a fish. At 7 months it should be fully grown. Has it been in your 10gallon its whole life? What other fish are in there? How many times a day did you feed it?

I had three swordtail fry in my 5g at one point. One was always larger than the other. I read somewhere (I think it was here on another thread) that one will always mature. Then if you take that one out, then the next one will get bigger. This made sense for me because out of the three, one was always bigger. Is there some way you could take the other one out and put it somewhere else? Btw, I heard that the egg stuff makes your water bad. I never used it so I don't know for sure.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Also, I want to put a ghost shrimp in my tank.
Should I wait until the other baby is grown? because I heard that the shrimp eats the fry.
They certainly will try, I know my biggest ghost shrimp certainly tried to get a newborn fry - they lost interest soon though, when they found they had a bigger supply of food when I constantly kept feeding the fry.