tiny bubbles all over tank walls and plants

moifackah

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
ok I just recently got a 10 gallon tank up and runnin. I havent cycled it yet and will start tomorrow. but first. I have the water in and filter going. and I've noticed I have alot of oxigen in my water. cause there is milions of little bubbles on everything in the tank. I have silk plants so none of them are real but I was wondering if so much oxigen in the water is bad for my tank when I get fishes?

Oct 22, 2002
san diego, ca
haha that was like...12 minutes?   ;)  proves i'm an internet junkie, I guess...or a myfishtank.net junkie... ;D  newayz, let the tank sit for awhile, the bubbles are probably from you filling it up.  assuming by 'I just recently got a 10 gallon tank up and runnin' means like the past day.  if the bubbles don't go away on their own, you may want to check your water quality, although if you haven't even touched it yet it's probably ok...all in all it wouldn't hurt your fish, I think  

I had that when I first started my tank.  Little tiny bubbles on every surface in the tank.

I added a cory and he got rid of every last bubble in a day as he checked out every surface for food.

I still get some bubbles on the sides of the tank and plants after I do a water change.

It's not harmful to the fish and will usually go away after a few hours or when a fish brushes against them.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
No problems! This is normal, and you will see this with every large water change. Bubbles appear in the water when the level of oxygen reaches 100% saturation or more. In your case, you have more than 100%, which is called supersaturation.

Oct 22, 2002
Salt Lake City
When I just restarted my 3 gallon tank this happened...I just took my algae spounge and kinda shook things up, running it around the sides and kinda genly shaking the plants...it happens when you fill a glass up with water to drink or fill anything up with water...Don't worry, it's not biggy at all.

Annie

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Bubbles are normal any time you warm water up (as you did by taking cold water out of your tap and warming it up with a heater in your tank). As water warms up, the amount of gas that can be dissolved in it decreases. So, the cold tap water had more gas dissolved in it than the warm water in your tank can hold. This is no problem at all, they'll go away on their own eventually, but they do absolutely no harm.

As far as letting the tank "mature" goes... a tank with nothing but water in it won't mature at all. In order to get your tank ready to deal with fish waste, it has to have some fish waste to process. Check out the Fishless Cycling article in the articles section of this site for more information on how that works.