time to start??

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
well today i think i may start my nano sw 6gl...i have done some research on how to do it and thgings i need to buy...i think i am going to go with 2-3 small sw fish(not sure yet what ones) and rock and coral....what is the best type of substrate i should get...should i just buy crushed coral...also more importantly should i buy the water from the store already sw or just make my own...is it cheaper to just buy bags of salt and use purified water or can i use tap water.... *celebrate

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
many questions young grasshopper:

1) i would say 1-2 small fish
2) substrate is up to you...i like sand, but thats just me
3) water: for the amount of water you will change it might be best for you to buy it premade at the LFS...financially, it is much cheaper to mix your own...whether you need purified water depends on the water in your area so I can't really answer that one other than to say "better safe than sorry"

remember to take it slow and you should be just fine and dandy

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
its a 6gl eclipse with the basic lighthood...i want sand possible does it look nicer then crushed coral...i heard if i mix my own water that i cant use regular tap water...my tap water in my area is really good cant i use conditoner to it then just mix with salt...so far this is my only problem i dont get....i really dont want to buy water from lfs that seems like i would get pissed off cause of the expense...

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
sand is nicer looking imo...aesthetics is really the only issue in a tank of your size and the amount of sand you will need will be so small price isn't going to matter much either

i use tap water for my mix and you can too, but you might want to do as i did and ask the dept of water for a water report, make sure you aren't going to bring anything nasty into the tank (dechlor will have to be used for sure though)