Tiger Fish of the Congo river!

Jan 8, 2009
Richmond,Va
My professor/school just aquired 6 new adult striped Tiger fish(not to be confused with the Goliath Tiger) to add for the studies of our department.I just want to give you a brief run down on this fascinating predatory fish before you check out the pics.

African Tiger Fish are not recommended as aquarium fish except in very large public aquariums.These beautys are infact cousins of the pirahna in South America.

Appropriate Home
Eventually a very large aquarium with an exterior power filter with a BIO-Wheel, and a maximum of 1/4 inch of gravel(our gravel is placed at 2inches). The water temperature should be between 75 and 80 degrees F.

Recommended Diet
African Tiger Fish eat smaller fish and crustaceans such as live Ghost Shrimp and larger shrimp sold in supermarkets for human consumption.We feed these guys adult farm raised prawn which gives them a boost in their diet.

Compatibility
As seen in the one of the pics:Theres a large Keyhole cichlid in there with a large butterkofi.Large cichlids can be added but the aquarium requirements are 1500 gallons+.Pirahana can also co-exsist with their cousins.

Size and Life Span
African striped Tiger Fish grow to be 30" long.The Goliath can reach 40-50+". Their life spans are unknown to us, but they probably live for many years.

This one is a pic of the "herd" as i like to call it:

Attachments

Last edited:

robynz

Small Fish
Jun 14, 2012
It is new to me, the tiger fish of Congo river. Thanks for sharing this interesting article. I might read some other articles about it.