Threadfin Geophagus Compatibility

noob23

Large Fish
Dec 17, 2007
SoCal
I was checking these guys out and there pretty sweet, but i got a few questions.

What could be some good tank mates? Right now i have a bala, a red tail, 5 tiger barbs and 4 probably soon to be 3 zebra danios in a 20 gallon. Yes i know these guys need a bigger tank, and i am in the process right now of getting something in the 48-75 gallon range. I just wanted some good info from you guys. And if there are any experiences with them out there, that would help also.

SinisterKisses

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2007
Do you mean Acarichthys heckelii? If so, you'll need a tank of at least 75gal, nothing less, for a group of them. Other select species of cichlids would be the best tankmates, nothing "bite-size" for sure.

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
I dont think that this is what your looking for, i just read that they can get up to 10 inches, and need atleast a 40gal tank. You could possibly do a colony of brichiradii or some smaller shellies when you move all your other fish. Or if your looking to put the fish with the fish you have now, i would look around for one of the medium sized SA cichlids.

noob23

Large Fish
Dec 17, 2007
SoCal
You could possibly do a colony of brichiradii or some smaller shellies when you move all your other fish.
Ya but aren't those Tanganyikan? Is that okay to mix with the fish i have now? I think they are beautiful fish, and i would love to have them. If that cant happen, i love apistios, and i could do them too. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

I'm positive my heckelii killed the only other heckelii I had, as well as my pair of angels.
A 75 gallon tank would be ok for a pair of A. heckelii but I'd be weary of keeping other fish with them. Before pairing you're best to start off with a group and from there let a pair form.
And just so that you are aware, A. heckelii are not like true eartheters, not in habit or behavior. Geophagus sp. are gregarious and generally very peaceful, spawn in pair but are not pair-bonding whereas A. heckelii are generally aggressive toward one another and form pair bonds, much more like an acara - which is why it is also referred to as a "Threadfin Acara".
Please read this article:
The Cichlid Room Companion - Heckel's Thread-Finned Acara Acarichthys heckelii (Mueller and Troschel 1848)
It will give you a good understanding of the the fish as a species and then as an aquarium fish.

noob23

Large Fish
Dec 17, 2007
SoCal
Thanks for the replies! Sounds like apistos would be more practical. I think the threadfins would be too aggressive for the fish i have now. I have made that mistake before, and i don't want it to happen again.

Jadzia

New Fish
Jul 24, 2012
Hi Noob23
I have two Threadfin Geophagus and they haven't given me any trouble. They will occasionally chase each other but they never nip fins or terrorise any of there other tankmates. I have Platys, Congo Tetras Angels Blue Gourami Lace Gourami Bolivian rams, Geophagus red and green horseface, flying fox and Bristlenose catfish in a four foot tank. The little Bolivian Ram stands up to them so they're not aggressive. I wouldn't put them with any Barbs as the barbs will probably nip there fins