Things you will need when starting a saltwater aquarium.

stix

New Fish
Mar 4, 2008
what about a location for the tank?

should it be in an area with lots of sunlight?
a little bit of sunlight?
or no sunlight?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Actually sunlight won't do anything other than possibly overheat your water. True it may benefit algae but it will also benefit your corals etc. If your nutrients are under control the sunlight shouldn't increase algae at all any more than your lights will.

Jun 26, 2008
I need help with my tank. It's a new saltwater tank, and I put everything in right like it says. But I have one problem; it's pretty cloudy! I think I might know the problem though, we put in regular gravel and not sand. How can I fix this problem without starting everything over? Can I buy some kind of liquid from the pet store that would clear it up?

Jun 26, 2008
No, we don't have any fish yet. We're like testing the water and stuff for a total of two weeks before we put anything in. We definitely don't want any fish to die. What type of fish would you suggest for a beginner?

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
You will need to let it sit longer than 2 weeks.. As far as fish go it depends on what kind of tank you are going to do. Reef or fish only.. The size of the tank will affect which fish you will be able to keep as well..

Jun 26, 2008
Okay thanks for the help. One last question? How long should I let my fishtank sit until I can put fish in? It's still a little hazy; when should I expect a nice clean tank?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
u have to wait till your nitrites/ammonia are at zero for a few days than u wanna start off with a cleanup crew and wait another week or so before adding fish....what did u use to start your cycle? how much liverock u got in there? if i wer u id get rid of the grave now before the tank is stocked!
btw what size tank is this? and what are u doing for water movment? u get a skimmer yet?

Apr 10, 2009
Get Advice on aqaurium n fish related questions!!!

Hey there I’m new here, I’m Dave.

You guys might find this video useful the site is cool also. The video is on fish selection and all other your aqaurium and salwater fish related questions .....

SaltwaterHub - Fish Selection Advice

This site helped me a lot on Saltwater fish selection for my personal aquarium ..... The site has great Saltwater Selection advices.....

Enjoy…

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
So on saltwater tanks, especially nano (10 gallons) do you need an actual filter or just power heads and live rock. I have an extra canister sitting around that has a 110gph output and I was wondering if I needed to use it as a filter / power head in addition to another power head or should I just get 2 power heads.

Jun 30, 2009
I think this is great info thanks. Yes I understand the urge to get fish time goes by very slow. I have had freswater fish forever I actually raise them and sell them to our local pet store. I have wanted a sw forever. I broke down one of my aquariums and decided I would set it back up as sw. It's only 20 gal. but it's a start. Now I wish I could find someone who would trade all my aquariums for 1 large aquarium.

Oct 3, 2009
Thanks for all the effort you put into writing this for us newbies....now if you could just right a sequel "Things you need to know when relocating a saltwater aquarium".

Thanks again
Laura

Nov 9, 2010
Thanks so much for the info! Have had my FW up and running for little over a year now and have been contemplating setting up a small 50-55 gal fowlr SW tank...just don't know where I'm gonna put it at lol. Going to the lfs tomm to do some research and see what kind of set up they have since they don't have a website. Are there any good websites to get parts/fish/etc. from and any to avoid?