Things you will need when starting a saltwater aquarium.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Go do the reading recommended in the other threads in this forum, particularly anything like 'how I set up my tank'. Asking single questions like this will not prepare you for what you need to successfully keep a marine tank, you need to get a 'big picture'. But as you ask, 8.2, salinity 1.020 - 1.025, 0 ammonia nitrite, nitrate as low as possible. Phosphate nil.

Lou

Large Fish
Jul 18, 2003
SW Wisconsin
www.waysmeet.org
I almost was foolish and did this...set up a SW tank. There was a 75 gal tank being given away, we were talking where to meet for me to get it, visions of SW danced in my head and the people slipped as they took it out of storage and the whole thing cracked to pieces.

Saved by a slip...

Originally posted by dbacksrat
some stores have certain policies with their saltwater fish such as *$&%&@# have no guarantee that sw fish you buy will live, but some places online have a 10 day guarantee for most sw livestock
I have found this is the case with the collecters, a lot of fish that come from indonesia care caught by using poisons/chemicals which will kill the fish in the future ( lol or no future) so i guess you can always ask where they come from first, one of our LFS has some beautiful fish they come from indo and i wont touch them,

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Phantomfe3, thanks so much for the information. I would like a SW tank in my bedroom but I had heard it was expensive. I am new to the fish world (less than a year) so I am just working with freshwater. I think I need lots of years behind me before I try SW. Thanks for all the information though. :)

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
it is possible to do sw as a beginner to fishkeeping in general, but common newbie mistakes are very costly...i believe 99% (ok, maybe not that many) of reef keepers (fish only systems not included because those are forgiving and somewhat simple to maintain) gained valuable experience in fw before doing sw

Bull M

Small Fish
Feb 22, 2005
I agree with dbacksrat. I'd owned my FW setup for quite a while before I even considered beginning a marine system. In the end, I'm glad for the experience, and it certainly helped me.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Read the 'my new tank sticky' - I think I put a costed shopping list in there. I guess it depends on what you have in your shed. I put my nano together without actually buying anything

Hi All:

I did not write for a while as I got very sick, worst in my life, at Thanksgiving and am STILL coughing. I have a strong immune system and I NEVER get sick and usually not for any lenght or severely but this was something that packed quite a wallop. I even took antibiotics and meds!

Just an update on my new 180 gallon marine tank.

It is filled with water and salt
Protein skimmer is functional
Wet/Dry is up and running.
Marginal fluorescent and halogen lights are in temporarily, since no corals etc are in it yet.
(1) 300W Heater is in the sump, one more to go.
Gravel is in.
25 tiny damsels are all that is in it, but I am on vacation for two weeks and will be putting in live rock and getting a light set. Either going to Florida to buy it or here in Connecticut. Today I am off to a place called Fin and Feathers in Groton, CT. (http://www.finandfeatherpets.com)

Pictures will follow when it is more pretty. Thanks for all of your help.

Just one question: Anyone deal with these folks? Live rock is way cheap but I see no secure key on the task bar when attempting to order.

http://www.ecoreefaquatics.com/

Enjoy the New Year, All

Zukester

Hi All:

I did not write for a while as I got very sick, worst in my life, at Thanksgiving and am STILL coughing. I have a strong immune system and rarely get sick for long or that severely, but this was something that packed quite a wallop. I even took antibiotics and cough meds!

Just an update on my new 180 gallon marine tank.

Stand is stained, sealed and new trick looking antique hardware is on it.
It is filled with water and salt
Protein skimmer is functional
Wet/Dry is up and running.
Marginal fluorescent and halogen lights are in temporarily
One 300W Heater is in sump, one more to go.
Gravel is in.

25 tiny damsels are all that is in it, but I am on vacation for two weeks and will be putting in live rock and getting a light set. Either going to Florida to buy it or here in Connecticut. Today I am off to a place called "Fin and Feathers" in Groton, CT. (http://www.finandfeatherpets.com)

Pictures will follow when it is more pretty. Thanks for all of your help.

Just one question: Anyone deal with these folks? Live rock is way cheap but I see no secure key on the task bar when attempting to order.

http://www.ecoreefaquatics.com/

Enjoy the New Year, All

Zukester