Thin film and foamy bubbles.

Nov 13, 2009
Hi all,

A little background. Last year was my first experience with an aquarium. 10 gallon with one of the hanging tetra filters. It was a learning experience in terms of fish happiness and not everyone made it.

Fastforward to this year. I have two tiger fish in it now doing weekly 20% water changes. I use several conditioners Kent protech coat, aquarium solutions ultimate water conditioner, and flourish excel organic carbon. I don't know if I need the flourish anymore I was given it on recommendation of the aquarium place I go to when i had an algae growth problem. I don't have any live plants. I feed them a small pinch 5-6/7 days a week of standard flake food.

Sooo, my problem is this thin white film that sits on the top of the water despite surface movement from the pump (which is plenty powerful for the tank). and when the film isn't there (I remove it when I see it) then I get this foam along the surface where it meets the aquarium walls. I don't think its harming the fish as Ive been dealing with it for several weeks now without any problems but it is unsightly and gross and I was wondering what I can do to get rid of it, on the cheap. I searched around for answers but it seems everyone on google has a specific problem with no general solution. Thought I would check with this community. Thanks!

LAVMAN

Medium Fish
Sep 28, 2009
i had a problem like that and my problem was i was feeding my fish too much and the protein in the food made it foam like that. now i just feed then once in the morning and once at night. and no more foam.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yes it a protein film, and air bubbles just kind of get trapped by it creating that foam. i have this problem on my 40 gallon right now, but i dont really concider it that much of a problem cuz it does absolutely nothing to harm fish.

You can try a surface skimmer although that might be an expensive alternative. ive heard mollies eat the protein film, so you could get some of those.

And i seriously doubt you have tiger fish in a 10 gallon. tigerfish are a sports fish weighing up to 105 lbs. part of the cichlid family.
What you might have are tiger barbs, but 2 is way too few, you have to have at least 5 for them to be happy.

Also try feeding them something other than flake. frozen blood worm, brine shrimp, shrimp pellets are all good ideas. be warned about freeze-dried tubifex worms as they will contribute to the film. fish would love them though.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
if i add too much de-chlorinater when doing water changes i get a white frothy foam on top, almost like soap suds.
i wonder if , maybe you added to much of one of those chemicals you mentioned. just a thought.
good luck

DarkLies

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2009
Louisiana
I have this "problem" too. It bothers me because I'd much rather hear the sounds of the filter and air pump vibration than the annoying popping of bubbles -.-
I'm glad to know it's safe for my fishies though :)

Nov 13, 2009
Thanks for the responses. Yeah I definitely don't have 105lb fish in my tank. Good to be corrected. I don't think its over de-chlorinating because the foam always goes away after water changes. I'll try feeding them less and see how it works out.

Regarding the number. I had 5 but the guy at the aquarium store misinformed me saying it was ok to put them in a 2 gallon bowl. 3 died within a week from an ammonia spike. The other two made it to the tank but I guess I need more. Because the two already in there are a bit larger now, will it be a problem adding 3 smaller ones. Any precautions I should take?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
hmm yea it might as the two larger ones may be the dominant and will chase the newcomers. try a divider at first. but this is why people buy at least 5 to start with so that theyre growin similar sizes. also upon introduction, if youre just gonna add w/o a divider, it might be a good idea to rearrange everything in the tank so itll disorient the two big ones.