the meanest cichlid

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I was just wondering, which cichlid would you "king" the most aggressive and violent?

I went to a rather far lfs the other day and there was this cichlid that was gray and had a small hump on his head. I would say he was at least 6 inches and even putting your finger near the glass he would swim violently to it. Case aside, what was the meaning cichlid you ever encountered at a fish store?

Blurk

Small Fish
Feb 22, 2006
My vote would go to the red devil. My boyfriend's father has one who has eaten a plecostomus and killed a turtle. Not a very nice fish . . .

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Toss up. Take you're pick. Most of the most aggressive tankbusters come from South and Central America. There are a few from Africa that could contend though.

Some of the better known are:
-Wolf Cichlid (dovii)
-Midas
-Red Devils
-Red Terrors
-Jack Dempsey
-Black Belts
-Jaguars (managuense)
-Black Nastys (Cichlasoma haitiensis, though heard mostly against their own kind)
-Convicts
-Buttikoferi

Just look at their names, they live up to them.

Aggression is a matter of the enviornment too though. A fish put into one enviornment may not act the same in another. So all of these can be the meanest son of a gun on the block...or a happy tankmate of other cichlids in the community. Depends on the setup.

Last edited:

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
hmmm...how big of a tank would I need to keep a few dovii and a few jags togeather? And I know it's from a differnt place, but what about adding a buttikoferi too?

(I don't think we own enough land for a tank that big, much less house to keep in it :p)

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
You don't happen to have a lake in the back 40 do ya? :cool:

Orion said:
hmmm...how big of a tank would I need to keep a few dovii and a few jags togeather? And I know it's from a differnt place, but what about adding a buttikoferi too?

(I don't think we own enough land for a tank that big, much less house to keep in it :p)

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Funny you should mention that Avalon. I don't own it, but yes there is a lake in the back 40 :D

But I think all the fishermen would get pissed if they stoped catching any bass and all they could find was jags ;) (the KY state record for Large Mouth was actualy from this lake, 12 pounds and some change)

Jan 24, 2006
my LFS is taking care of somebodys fish and they have a BIG jaguar cichlid, a huge oscar, a medium jack dempsy, and another 2 big cichlids together in one tank. i think the tank is about a 90 or even 100 but i doubt it. they looked all FINE. NO AGRESSION AT ALL! they were all just swimming around.
wierd!

Mar 26, 2006
enterprisesteaks.com
This is a very good question??????:confused:

mmmmm................

I have an Oscar, but he is little yet. I did Have a full grown one once and he was real mean.......mmmmmmm......???????

JDs are mean also..................

My brother has a Red devil that kills anything in its tank so he stays alone.

mmmm...........This is a very good question.

Oct 4, 2010
hey just to let you no a jagaur cichlid need atleast 100 gallons of water 2 him self so do the math i have i have 500 gallon fresh water cichlid tank thats built in the wall i have 2 jagaur's 4 electric blue jacks 1 midas 1 red devil 2 flowerhorn and 3 green terrors they all get along ok accept with any kind of cichlid your gonna see some agression at some time or another

Oct 4, 2010
and one more thing its better to buy ur fish offline because most of all the cichlids you wld find in petsmart or petco aint really the real fish my jags each were $40 dollars at petsmart they were $4.49 so if you really wanna c the real cichlids order from online cichlid stores that are true cichlids i learnd that lesson the hard way