That Bleached Look in SW

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Okay, this is a very, very stupid question, but I just need clarification.

That bleached white look in a fish only marine system isn't healthy right? The reason I ask is that at the store, I have major BGA problems due to the high nitrate production of the system biowheels and the fact the light is on 14-18hrs a day. I have to scrub and manually remove algae twice a week so you can see into the tanks. If I don't clean, brown slime and BGA grows everywhere and produces neat little O2 bubbles on everything. It takes about two days for an entire system to be obscured by the stuff.

My cleaning usually involves wiping down the glass, stirring up the gravel, rubbing the plastic plants semi-clean, and sweeping a brine shrimp net through the water collumn to get out suspended macroparticles. Once the tanks have settled back out, I change the prefilter media to a fresh pad for finer filtration. The water quality is fine and crystal, it's just the algae don't look pretty.

But I leave the coral sketetal remains in the tank, and they've grown a nice culture of purple stuff on them (except in the tang tanks and where my black molly breeding colony is). I know this is seeding the rest of the tanks for algae outbreaks, but it is really a whole lot of exhausting work to rip down each tank and bleach the stupid things every week. I'd rather do a twice a week quick clean.

Besides, I think that bit of algae is helping to keep the nitrates down just a little bit to compensate for the biowheels. My manager, on the other hand, is quite fustrated that I'm spending my time always cleaning the tanks (no matter how much I reason with him that the 2x cleaning = the same time as a strip and bleach cleaning).  I've used Jungle Labs "No More Algae" tabs in these tanks before because I was forced to do a product test with them, and they worked great, it was just that they contained copper and I would prefer not to use them. They kill inverts (which is now why I can't carry any), and I also fear a customer would be dumb enough to pour our system water into their invert tank and thus kill their tank with our copper laden water. Not to mention whatever physiological posioning the fish may get.

I know a reef tank is suppose to look "dirty" but customers expect to see stark white bleached looking saltwater tanks.
Are there any other methods of keeping the tanks "bleached" looking without chemicals? Is the algea in the tanks harmful? I know eutrification is bad, but if I keep up with my 2x a week cleaning, eutrification shouldn't happen right?  

Oh, to complicate issues, the company won't pay for new UV bulbs (they're 2 years old and completely ineffective now) because the "No More Algae" was suppose to replace the UV.
~~Colesea

BGA is actually a sign of a breakdown in the reductive properties of the filtration system, usually caused by something simple like turning the filter off and starving it of oxygen or overcleaning.
BGA is always there lurking in the background just waiting for such an event, do not over clean the filters, let them do their work.
Sounds like the store owners are not Fish Keepers, steer them to one of the better web sites like this one and let us see if we can change their minds, REPLACE THE UV's MISER's.

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Overcrowding is definately a problem...this is a retail system. The "cram everything the least amout of tanks so we have more tanks to cram more fish to sell into" philosophy. Me saying we should carry less fish is shouting into the wind. I have no control over coporate policies, I can only do my best at damage control.

Too much cleaning? What would that consist of? The filters are the stacked Marineland MaRS biowheels. You can see them at the Marineland.com website. If I'm not removing the corals or decorations, and have a biowheel running, how could changing the prefilter pad (aka sponge) once a week be over cleaning? That sponge gets very clogged and needs replacing once a week, or I will usually wash it under running water in the sink to get the junk off if it isn't compeletely fallen apart. I have four carbon packs in there, one in the filter itself, the other three floating in the sump. I usually replace one a week, rotating the new one into the actual filter, and tossing away the oldest one in the sump.  Where is the reduction breakdown?

BGA is that purple stuff right? It's a purple encrusting algae that grows in matts on the gravel, all over the decor, and produces bubbles. If I scrape it off the glass, usually there is the typical round green speckles of BGA left on the glass that requires a bit extra elbow grease to remove.

As far as I know, the systems should be operating 24hrs a day. All the power outages that I'm aware of occuring have happened with me in the store, and usually weren't for much longer than an hour or two until we found the right circut breaker. There have been no interruptions of flow in the past four weeks that I know of. And trust me, if the filters went offline, I would -know-<G>.
~~Colesea

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Thanks, I didn't know such a sight existed. I made it one of my favorites *wink*.

Anyway, the way they say to clean is to bleach it, although "functionally biological systems are better served a little dirty".  *sigh* it's a no win situation isn't it.
~~Colesea

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Thanks, I didn't know such a sight existed. I made it one of my favorites *wink*.

Anyway, the way they say to clean is to bleach it, although "functionally biological systems are better served a little dirty".  *sigh* it's a no win situation isn't it.
~~Colesea