TANK

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
MY tank has a crack :'( :'( :'( :'( I had to move all the fish into my supposed discus tank.(If i ever get it finished). SCrew all glass aquarium company but, it was probally my fault soooooooo but, to the Q does anyone know why it might have broke ??? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Is it new?

It should have some warrenty on it.

Reasons could be not level, putting stress on the glass.

If you dont have the right stand, that can put presuure on it.

Moving it with water can do it.

old tanks can sometimes crack, more likely through the seal they tend to leak.

What is the deal...new/old, where is the crack?

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
If it's glass here is what I would do. I would drain all the water out and take everything out and then find the crack. After that I would get a tube of clear silicone and put a small amount on your finger and smear it over the crack in the glass. Then let it sit for about 5 days and then fill it back up and see if it has sealed the crack. I have done this many time with our spray tanks and stuff here on our farm and it works so you can try it. And it shouldn't hurt your fish as some people put it on the bottom of their tanks to support it and keep the gravel from cracking it. Well good luck. ;D

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
Agreed.  If the crack is in the middle of the back wall there's no way sealant will be strong enough to hold it together with the pressure of all that water on it.  It works at the corners because it structurally stronger there.
Hmmmm...I see a new fish tank in your future....... ::) :)

R

ronrca

What you can do is replace the back glass altogether depending of course on the size and thickness. Then silicon the corners and bottom and its like new. However, if it is a big and thick glass it might be expensive. Then I would use silicon. You can buy from the pet stores but very expensive. Go to Home Depot and buy some silicon. GE makes some silicon that can be used for aquariums (probably the same stuff as pet stores) for a fraction of the cost. Just make just it does not say on the silicon "Do not use for aquariums". You should be fine.

R

ronrca

O definitly! Dont bother with a 10G! I was thinking that is was like a 70G or something.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Oh it's only a 10? I was thinking it was your 20 since you said the discus tank and I got confused :-/

Well you should just get the 10 gallon glass and put the hood and filter and stuff back on it. That would be cheaper than having to seal it and stuff. Good luck. ;D