Tank sitting for 2 years is it safe?

Jan 12, 2012
I have a 90 gallon saltwater havent been using it sense my fish died. I have live rock in there and i turn the pump on like once a month and run it. Is there any danger of standing water that can harm my family is it safe to stick my hand in there and clean it. Are the rocks still alive and can i add fish after cleaning?

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
You might want to use gloves as there could be bad bacteria and cause a skin irritation or infection to a cut. I would drain all the water and refill with mixed salt water and let it run. Your rock will most likely not have any life in it but dont be surprised if there are some critters left still. After a couple weeks you could try to add some live rock or cheap fish from the local pet store if the water tests ok. I so not think the water would be bad unless someone comes in contact with it but, if there is bad bacteria in there its hard to say if it could get air borne or not.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I agree with mopar. that long with no food of any kind being added for the little critters in the rock they would probably all be dead or a good 99%. and as for bacteria once all the critters were dead and done decaying there would be no nitrates ammonia or nitrites for the beneficial bacteria to survive. think u would be best off cleaning it realy good, change out all the water and seed the tank with some new live rock. belive that would be the best bet.