tank setup help?

Sep 19, 2007
Colorado
I currently have a 32 gallon FW tank that I would like to convert to brackish. Does anyone know what fish I might be able to put in it. I would like to do a species tank, but I could do maybe more then one species. I already know what setup I need, marine salt, aeration, ect. from the thread on how to set it up. I was just wondering what kinds of fish I might be able to get away with. I was thinking of trying an archer fish or two, but I am open to all ideas.

p.s. I realize my tank is on the small side for some archers, but I am thinking about investing in a bigger tank in the future.

Thanks *DRUMMER* (I thought that was sweet)

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Hey smashtime105...Welcome to MFT!

Here's a link to check out some possible fish for your tank.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html

Personally I'd go with a couple figure 8 puffers...but I'm rather partial to them :p You could get some bumblebee gobys and orange chromides as well. It all depends on what kind of brackish fish your LFS carries. I'm not sure about where you are but here in Maine the selection is pretty limited. I'd go shop around and see what's available.

If you are definitely getting a larger tank in the future, I'd start out with one archer in the tank you currently have. They get really big and 32 gallons wont be that good of a setup for them for long. IMO, I'd start out with a couple mollies or swordtails...get a feel for playing with the water's salinity...and then go on to a more typical brackish fish. Mollies and swordtails are rather hardy and can help you along while your tank's bacteria colony converts itself from FW to brackish. (Because...they are different types of bacteria.)

Sep 19, 2007
Colorado
thanks

I'm kind of on a tight budget right now, so I can only afford the tank setup plus maybe a couple fish or an archer. How long do these fish take to grow? This way I could cycle it with some mollies for a while, then buy an archer, and if it takes long enough to grow I might be able to afford the new tank by then. I live in Colorado, so the brackish fish (and fish alone) available is very limited. I might be able to see if they will take special order.
Should I put one or two archers in there? Or how many figure eight puffers? Or a mix? It is a balanced tank that is not long or tall (but also not square lol)
Sorry this is long, but one last question, how long should I cycle the tank with the mollies?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
I've never kept archers so I can only offer the results of my google searches. Here's a link, again, from Welcome to Badman's Tropical Fish Toxotes jaculatrix, Archer fish Profile, with care information

As far as cycling, I'd read thoroughly Brack-Man's sticky...in this he says:

Converting from Freshwater to Brackish Water
Converting with fish : This is assuming that you bought your fish from your LFS in freshwater. It is very important that you do not increase the salinity of your aquarium water by more than .002ppt (SG) at a time. Too much of a salt increase will badly stress out the fish and may kill your beneficial bacteria. First of all it is best to pre-mix your saltwater the day before doing water changes, and use an air stone or power head to mix/oxygenate the water. Do a 50% water change, add pre-mixed saltwater to tank slowly. Now, some people and articles say to do this weekly until you have reached your desired salinity, I personally suggest only increasing your salinity monthly to give your fish and beneficial bacteria time to adjust to the increasing salt levels. However you should still do weekly water changes, being sure to match your new SG each time. Then the next month, increase your SG .002 again, continue doing this each month until you have reached your desired salinity.
How to Calculate SG:
Example: 10gal Tank
Starting Water SG Level:1.000
Goal SG Level: 1.002
Pre-mix SG Level: 1.004
Multiply goal SG by 2 since you are doing 50% water change and this gives you what your pre-mix SG level should be, in this case it is 1.004.
I'd start slowly with only one archer...after the cycle is complete. I jump started a cycle with 1/2 the amount of marine bio-spira when I converted my 55 gallon from FW to Brackish. If you wanted to go with Figure 8 Puffers, I'd say you could keep two in there. I have a 55 gallon brackish tank and I keep three F8's and three red velvet swordtails. And IMO I am overstocked. :/ But I am a bit on the conservative side :)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2007
Colorado
Alright that helps a lot, I'm going to go to some of the private fish retailers this weekend and see if they have any brackish fish, but if not I will just get a couple mollies. I used to have some black mollies and I liked them a lot, stupid ick got to them though. Just to clarify things, since the stores will have the fish in fresh water usually, I should put them in my fresh water tank, then slowly increase the salinity? I'm guessing it would be very bad to put them in the brackish tank right after being in freshwater.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Here's what I would do (assuming that your current FW tank is already completely cycled)
~ Either buy some Marine Biospira or a couple mollies and a hydrometer & marine salt.
If you purchased the marine bio-spira, you *should* be ready to do a 50% water change and add enough salt to the replacement water to make your entire tank your target salinity and add brackish fish immedietly. If not, here's how to let your tank's bacteria slowly convert itself from Freshwater to marine/brackish bacteria:

~ Do a 50% water change and add enough marine salt to the water you are replacing(15 gallons) to make it's salinity 1.004. This should make the salinity of the whole tank 1.002.
~ Add mollies.
~ Determine which brackish fish you want to house, and learn it's salinity requirements (low end or high end)
~ In a couple weeks, do another 50% water change and this time add marine salt to make the replacement water's salinity 1.008. Since the tank's current salinity is at 1.002, this in theory would make the entire tank's salinity 1.004 now.
~Keep doing this every couple of weeks until you reach your desired salinity.
~Add your brackish fish.

A good LFS will keep brackish fish in brackish water. Some don't - and if they have been kept in freshwater then you can add them right at the beginning of your FW to Brackish conversion. You're right - if they aren't currently in BW then it's a shock to them to be plunged into a different salinity....not to mention that your bacteria wont be "marine" yet and won't be able to sustain healthy levels of filtration until it's population is sufficient.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
One last question: How do I determine how much salt to put into the tank to get to the desired salinity? I have to 5 gallon buckets I use to do water changes.
Here's where your hydrometer comes in. I would start with about 2 tablespoons per gallon (that would be 10 tablespoons for your 5 gallon bucket) then measure the salinity after is it completley mixed. Then ask yourself: What's the salinity? And where do you want it it be? Add more salt or dilute with FW to make it your target salinity.

Sep 19, 2007
Colorado
alright thanks I just did the 50% water change after getting some mollies from my friend to cycle it, I will wait a week and then do another one. I asked the guy at my LFS to order an archer and he said he thinks he'll be able to. Thanks for all the help

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Nice! But if it were me I would wait at least two weeks before I did another water change with additional salt. Partial changes in the meantime keeping the same salinity is fine, but before you up it to the next salinity level I'd give it a little while so your bacteria won't get killed.

Got any pics of your setup?

Sep 19, 2007
Colorado
Okay my tanks salinity is now 1.005. I completely renovated the tank. I added sand, took a couple water changes to get it unclouded. I also added 2 water wisteria, 1 spiral val, and 2 hornwort plants. I also left in my onion plant, and all the other low growing ones but I forgot their names. Lastly, I added some smooth river rocks and a big marble rock I found on a hike. I will probably have pics tomorrow if not by this weekend. Oh, I also still have 1 silver molly, 1 black molly, 1 white dalmation molly, and 1 black dalmation molly. They are in good health and very active. BTW, my archer is due to come in this friday. Once again, thanks for all the help.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
I'm blissfully ignorant when it comes to plants and Co2. All I know is that there are only a few plants that can survive in brackish. I choose plastic and silk - ya can't kill them! :D Perhaps you might have better feedback & advise over on the Aquatic Plants area.

Can't wait to see your tank! I'm glad it's going well for you so far.