tank problem with filter, I think?

Hay everyone so now that I know how to post my own problem instead of piggy backing on someone elces, sorry about that by the way, I can now get some help.

So anyway, I have a ten gallon fresh water tank that has been loosing water for months now. At first I thought it was just evaporation, which it was loosing about 2 -3 inches every two days. But later I realized it was not because I found out what was making my room so smelly. When I was gone on a culinary competition my mom found it. At the base of my stand the floor was soaked and covered in mold. Now I have to replace the flooring but any ways before I do that I would like to find out what is going on. I filled my tank all the way up with out my filter or anything attached to it, left it for four days. No water came out though. So I am thinking it is my aqua-teck filter, which I have had many problems with like, molding, clogging and not running smoothly. If you know can any one confirm or tell me other wise that my filter is the problem? Also, does anyone know of a not too expensive brand of filter that is reliable? Oh and I am planning to move to a twenty gallon so I need to find a filter that suites that.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Leaks can be difficult to track down sometimes. Basically you have to keep looking and changing things untill the leak is found. It may be that while most think leaks are from faulty tanks or filters, many of my leaks have had other sources.
I will suggest some things to look at based on things I have found in the past.
Condensation - Moisture will collect under hoods, lights and covers. Most will drip back into the tank, but sometimes it will find a way out of the tank. I have traced leaks to moisture moving along wires, hoses and along other bits around the top.
Splashing - Similar to condensation but originates from splashing due to bubblers, power filters and sometimes fish.
Filter leaks other than damaged equipment - A time or two I have traced a leak to having a power filter discharge touching the edge of a light or tank cover and a trickle of the water catches on the cover edge and a little runs to the side of a tank.
Tank top surrounds - Most all glass tanks have a plastic trim that surrounds the top of the tank. That is sometimes an area where the silicone seal may not be complete. A tank can sit full of water without filters or a cover and will not leak. With a cover and filter and such in place the water makes its way thru these gaps. I have been puzzeled as to how this can happen and tend to think something along the line of capillary action may be at work in some cases. Splashing and condensation can also be possible culprits. It may be some sort of magic.
Clues- A long term leak can leave traces on the outside of the glass where the minerals in tank water are left as a deposit when a portion of the water evaporates. These deposits can form trails that lead to the source of a leak.
The paper towel test- Wipe the outside of the tank as dry as possible. Touch the corner of a dry paper towel to various places of the tank to find the new wet spot.
Of course there can be actual leaks in the filter and/or tank.
Good luck

Last edited:

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
How do you know if it is the filter? And do you know of any not too expensive brand of filter that is reliable?
Hello; If you have an air pump, an inexpensive sponge filter can be run in the tank for a while. Take the filter off and see if the leak stops.
OR The current filter can be placed on the front of the tank and run. This can often allow a better view of what is going on. Perhaps the leak will be able to be spotted this way.

Not sure what brands I have in operation now. The cheapest and most reliable hang on the side filter I have ever used were the kind powered by air from an air pump and used bubbles to lift water. Not much flow but they never failed on me. i did manage to break a few. Not sure if they are sold any more.
I have whatever brand was sold at walmart on a 55 gallon that has been in operation for a few years. I really can not make a knowledgeable suggestion right now. I have a few power filters that have been in use for a considerable time. I will try to determine what brand they are and post. May not be able to see the label on the ones in operation right now. My feeling is that the worst of the bunch on sale now days are much better than the more inexpensive power filters I first used many years ago.
Good luck.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
A filter isn't an absolute necessity. Many people run tanks without them as long as they do regular water changes and vacuums. I am assuming you are talking about 4 female bettas in the same tank? As I said in my initial replies, the Aqueon filters have worked just fine for me if you decide you really want to go that route, but if your bettas are stress with an airstone, a filter probably moves more water than the airstone.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
What will the sponge filter do. Will it help my filter or help me see if the filter is my problem? And if it helps my filter would it be better to just bye a better filter with no problems?
Hello; If you are sure that the filter is the source of the leak, then a new filter will solve that issue.

Sponge filters are fairly simple pads of open cell foam. They have a heavy base and some sort of way to pull water thru the foam. The type that I use are operated by air bubbles from an air pump. They are handy as basic filters. I have one running in my 10 gallon quarantine tank. My thought was that this would provide enough filtration and help to determine if the leak was from something other than the suspect filter. I guess that I thought you were still trying to find the source of the leak.

Bettas do not need a filter to circulate water and provide oxygenation as much as most other fish. They get extra oxygen in small gulps of air at the surface. Bettas can go for a long while without a filter if needed with regular water changes.

As to the stress your bettas or any other fish may experience when taking care of a tank, they can almost always deal with it. You will not have much choice from time to time in that some things will have to be done even if the fish seem stressed. They tend to do fine. The kind of stress that harms fish is something like a sudden temperature change or a build up of ammonia in the water. Fooling around with equipment has not been an issue for me over time.

At any rate, you get to run your tanks in what ever way that suits you, so take the approach you are more comfortable with. Good luck

Thank you so much everyone for your help. I am actually upgrading to a twenty gallon tank and found a AquaClear Power Filter at a garage sale for a one dollar. All the arts are fine and nothing is broken. I have been running it for a while and it has been doing fine. I also love how quiet it is. So I will hopefully be moving my fish into that tank. Also I do not just have female bettas I also have Danios. I am hoping to get more fish like some angelfish and more colorful ones. Also I am able to get a lot more fish breeds then I did before because the danios have made the bettas more peaceful. But I will still be safe and get fish that are compatible with bettas. Also, I will still be checking that filter more before I actually use it.