Tank Hood

D

discusaquarium

I was thinking about making a wooden canopy for my 55g tank so that I can include more light bulbs. right now there is only one and i wish to have 4 or five 40w 48" bulbs. I have seen designs of them, but none included the electrical parts. I want the bulbs to be on the lid of the hinged box on top of the tank for easy access to the tank. How would i go about doing this, what will i need, and how much do you think it would cost?

R

ronrca

Check out my photos, Joe! My canopy is hinged with 3 fixtures, 4 tubes, 36"! I works very well. Any questions, just ask? As for cost, that will depend on the materials. I used red oak which is fairly expensive. I payed around $40 for a 4'x8' sheet. You probably only need a half sheet though. The hinge is a "piano" hinge.

I designed my own canopy for my 55 gallon. It's made out of 2x2, 1x2, & 1x8 lumber an 1/2 in plywood. There are two 4-foot fixtures that each hold 2 bulbs for a total of 160 watts or about 3 watts per gallon. I have some pictures that I can send you and any additional info you may need. Just tell me if you want it and I'll email you.

D

discusaquarium

i would like to see them if its not too much trouble.  ;D my email is on here  :p thanks in advance. i'll have to figure out the whole electrical thing though.  8)

R

ronrca

The electrical part is easy also. The fixtures are wired already. All you have to buy is some 3 wire (black-hot, white-neutral and ground) extension cord (Home Depot). Connect the fixture to one end, the other end gets a 3 prong plug end and your done. Inside the fixture, there will be 2 wires that connect to the ballast usually a white and black. Strip the extension cord end, twist the whites and blacks together, maret them (little orange or yellow connectors), connect the ground wire to the fixture and you are in business.

R

ronrca

The ballast is used to provide the tubes with starting voltage and to limit the tubing operating current.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I want to do the same thing for my 29 gallon to get more lights as I only have one right now because it's a preformed hood and only has one light fixture. Do you guys think I should do the same thing with just the different measurements? thanks. ;D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Yes right now I only have one standard floursecent light in there and during the day (it's in front of a window) I will open the blinds and let the sun shine in on them. I got hardy plants because of this reason. ;D

dave

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
often time people mount the lights and the houseing unit on the lid so that way they have easy acces well here its my sudjestion take the houseing unit apart and mount the ballest on the back or even on the exterior i think that if it was me i would go ahead and put the ballast in my tank stand out of the way for good but o remeber ballest can get verry hot always keep them off of wood mount them on metal orsomething that is inflamible
 well good luck

Dave