Tank blow out!  Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggh!

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
'Lo y'all
Total bummer. My dad's 120 blew a seam today.  Completely drained. Nobody discovered it 'till way too late.  Thank god he had it outside, and thank god it wasn't his discus tank. He'd just gotten a shipment of new fish, too.  Over 30 fish dead. :'( Barbs. Silver Dollars. Plecos. Catfishes. All gone.  Draws much vacuum.*  He was out of town, so I had to race over to clean up. :-[ After 2 showers I still smell like dead fish.
On the plus side, it does look like there will be 2 survivors; a paradise that I gave him (Bob), and, of course, a pleco.  If Bob actually pulls through this I'm going to start calling him "Iron Bob".

*boy does it suck.

D

discusaquarium

Re: Tank blow out!  Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggh!

wow im sorry to hear that. what do you think caused the leak?

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net

It was an old "Kris-Clear" tank that he bought about 20 years ago.  Thick glass. He set it up outside about 3 weeks ago.  Does it get cold?  Ha ha! :) This is about as far south in Texas as you can get!  It's a major catastrophe when it hits freezing down here (which isn't too often).  I'm thinking old age killed it.  I'd always heard it could happen.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky

Yes had a 10 gallon tank that busted like that too. It does suck because all of my fish died. A tank outside would be cool. I think it was probably an old age thing then. ;D

R

ronrca

That is the worst disaster to happen for a fish hobbyists. He was lucky that it was outside because in the house, it would have destroyed the carpets, walls and more! Plus it would have reeked in the house also. Sorry about the fish too!  :'( :'( :'(

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky

Oh yes one thing I should mention that I forgot is that one of my cousins best friends bought a 250g for their living room and it busted 2 days after they got it! It destroyed their carpet, wall, couch, floor boards, and it even got into their basment carpet and they had to replace that. It was really bad. They hadn't gotten any fish yet though. The pet store replaced the tank and they also paid for the floor and wall. But the owners had to pay for the carpet. That really sucked for them. At least it wasn't me. ;D