TAL's Zero Water Exchange Test Thread

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Just out of curiousity... if one puts sponges behind the towers will they get any water flow through them?

Just wondering... gonna shut my mouth... ;)

Chris
I would imagine water flow would be limited.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Water testing today shows no change in pH or temperature.

Nitrites and Nitrates remain at zero.

We see that ammonia seems have a slight reading around 0.1ppm

System is operating normally and fish are swimming and appear happy with good appetites.

Last edited:

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
KB ... This is OUR experiement. Hence the We...

The lowest reading on the chart is .25ppm but this seemed to have a slight color change from 0 but not as much as the lowest reading so I estimated it to be the 0.1ppm.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Put a new Betta fish in last night.

His name is Rama. He is small and overnight has become much more comfy in the tank and starting to interect alot with thew other fish now that he has realized no one is gonna eat him.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Nice new av KB.

According the framework of Hi-Q...I am keeping a log of at least weekly water readings that will be released at the end of the test.

Daily readings are not planned.

I am taking readings more often than weekly, particularly now, early in the test.

I will try to post as often as I can to update you all and feel free to post a question or pm me a question if you are more comfortable doing that.

As for the towers, I have done nothing.

No other fish have been caught there. I am beginnning to wonder if it was just a freak accident since the gap is rather small and I am still surprised Rana got stuck in there.

Should it happen again, I will drain the tank down and silicon the towers in place.

Again, feel free to ask any questions. My fish continue to swim happily and eat heartily :)

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Ok when i the end of the test...seems to me this will be a long term experiment, has HI-Q given a timeline on this?

I had a buddy look over the threads and info and he said something about 6 months. I don't remember seeing it and haven't had the time to sort through it all for a confirmation though (Sorry, just had treatment today...).

If this is the case, I for one feel the system MUST be tested SIGNIFICANTLY longer. Even the most basic of filter systems with half reasonable stocking should be able to keep fish living (not necessarily thriving) for 6 months to a year without water changes... Yes, yes I've tested it... So has the above mentioned buddy. Basically, if the test is too short it stacks the deck in favor of the system giving "good" results. Then again... I guess it depends on one's definition of successful fish keeping. If getting 6 months out of a goldfish that can live up to 25 years is success for someone then so be it...

Chris

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Hey everyone, its your ol' pal Tal.

The fish are swimming well and eating well.

Some new water readings for you...

Water temp remains a constant 76F thanks to the heater.

pH is a stable 7.5

Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates all read at zero today.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Someone mentioned timeframe. HiQ has said I can go as long as I want and since I do not plan on thorwing out the fish....we shall.

Successful fishkeeping, as mentioned, will not just be 6 months of life for a fish. I am expecting years from my fish.

Someone else mentoined the towers and apearance..... if you look at the pics I posted, you can barely see them. They have unrestricted water flow into them but do not stand out at all to the observer.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
welcome back was worried you fled the country after tuesday..lol
lol......topic for another thread but in short - time for us to pull together

Now......I would like to point out that at the same time I set up the test tank, I re-did my 3 gallon tank too.

GOne is the clown gravel. I set it up with extra stuff from the big tank that was fully cycled.

Thank tank is now producing nitrates. You will notice from my readings above, no nritrates are noted in the test tank...

We will keep close watch on this. I am encouraged so far.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Clean water, happy fish.

Nothing new to report. Does this qualify as no news is good news?

No water changes are needed at this time. I would have had to do a water change this past weekend with the old system

1 water change saved so far. More time with the kids and I had time to eat the rest of the halloween candy. System is benefiting my life so far.