TAL's Zero Water Exchange Test Thread

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
I dunno about that Brian. I think the whole process you have seen me go through has been about the system because this is what a buyer of the system will experience.

As for the cycle. I am real world baby. Fish are back in the tank. Against directions? yea. WIll the same thing happen in the real world when people buy this? Yea - alot of times.

I wil be keeping an eye on the levels - particularly early on. I have conditioners ready to go if ammonia or nitrites go wacky. I have to keep my kids' fish alive - but I have to cut out or down these water changes.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
I put my hand to the towers. You can feel a slight rush of water entering the intake slates. It isn't enough to harm any fish, save maybe a small fry. (fry = baby fish - and even at that it would have to be a weak fry that wouldn't have survived anyways)

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
ishar: as far as I can see, it looks like Froggy is doing the "totally new tank with nothing cycled" and Tal is doing the "already established, fully cycled tank."

That's perfect because now we can see the differences between setting this up in a new tank versus an established tank.
Oh that is good stuff. That will be good, you're right :)

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Hello everyone.

Just to let you all know. I put the fish back in last night.

I think it says alot about Hi-Q that they let me test the tank like this. Directions are great but we all know how many people don't read them. Now, if I do have problems we will have to examine what directions I may have skipped and see if that is why I have the problem.

This is fun.

Note on the Bio Magic. It is put into the water filter behind the filter and NOT directly into the aquarium. That was one instruction I followed!

Does anyone know of any underwater adhesive that would be allowable in an aquarium?

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
The levels were all tested last night.

Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates all tested at 0. pH is 7.5. Temp is 76F.

The fish in the tank are listed in my sig...

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I've used clear silicon, the kind that comes in a tube, for fishtank decorations before. Just picked it up at the hardware store. It stinks to high heaven but it works fine once its cured. You can't actually use it underwater, it has to be out and dry for awhile and then you can put it in.

There's also the stuff that salties use to put their stuff together...shoot I'm not remembering what its called.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Two part epoxy putty. The same stuff used for SPS coral frags. It can be used under water. I'll try and find a name when I've got more time. Sorry. Both Two-little Fishes and Aquarium Systems used to repack it, pretty sure it's the same stuff you can get in most big box store plumbing departments.

What are you using it for though?

Chris

Last edited:

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Thanks Chris.

Let me tell you why I am asking and get all of your input.

I had a fish death.

A fish became stuck behind one of the towers overnight. The towers fit in the corner fairly well but the sealant used at the glass corners makes the towers lean out a bit. It was enough for a fish to get stuck. I am thinking I want to adhere them to the corners to prevent this again...

Or hmmm....maybe I can pull them forward a bit and make swimming room around them. That might be a better idea.

See the room for me to move them???

Input everyone?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Oh bummer :( I will have to ponder this too I guess. My towers seem to be relatively far from the glass...I'm guessing that they're further away than yours are. (I cant see your pictures from work, I'll take a look at them tonight) I'd think that pulling them away from the edges might look a little strange, but overall be a better solution. Your call though...what does anyone else think?

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
A fish became stuck behind one of the towers overnight. The towers fit in the corner fairly well but the sealant used at the glass corners makes the towers lean out a bit. It was enough for a fish to get stuck. I am thinking I want to adhere them to the corners to prevent this again...
I'm not sure fish have a reverse gear, which could make a narrow space a hazard for curious fishies - especially if the walls get closer together the further you go in.

How much of a gap are we talking about? I know silicone and putty have been suggested, but I wonder if there isn't another way of fixing this problem without gluing your filter system directly to the tank walls.

I had a 4" square glass plate in my tank for awhile that I was using to deflect air bubbles away from the filter intake. It was laying on the gravel against the back of the tank and seemed to be working fairly well for a quick fix. One of the danios somehow managed to squeeze sideways underneath the glass plate and wiggle himself almost to the center of it and couldn't back out. He was completely pinned down against the gravel when I noticed, I was pretty sure I'd lost him. Luckily he was right back to normal after I picked it up to let him out, so he couldn't have been there for very long.

Since then I've been careful not to leave any narrow tapered spaces like that - I try to keep stuff either flat against the glass, or a couple fish-widths away from it.

Last edited:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Well that sucks...I personally would drain and silicone the gaps just because if you add larger fish then the problem may still exist until the torwers are well away from the glass.
The problem is you would have to leave the tank empty without water for atleast 24hrs. Hopefully the epoxy idea will work better, atleast keep you from draining the tank again.

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Unfortunately, I'd agree with Brian. Silicone is the way to go if you want to seal it against the glass. In my experience the Epoxy just doesn't adhear properly to the glass. Even if it did though, it would make the filters a permenant fixture. I have no idea how you would safely remove it.

If it was me... Pull the filter out a bit.

Chris

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
It would seem making more room is the best way. Then if a fish gets behind the tower, it can at leat go all the way around.

Oct 1, 2008
TAL,

I am very sorry one of your fish died. Probably the easiest way of closing the gap on tanks where the sealant forces the gap between the filter tower and the glass is by sticking a couple of big sponges behind the filter.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
It would seem making more room is the best way. Then if a fish gets behind the tower, it can at leat go all the way around.
I dont know how heavy those towers are or how the attach to the bottom, but if you can move them out further you going to be making a larger gap for you pleco or rainbow to get stuck in , or the pleco knock them over once he gets larger. You choice but if your looking at this long term I would definately seal them to the tank some way. Once the pleco reachs 8in or so he will try to get behind them and unless they are secured to something he will move them. I would be better to do this early in the test phase IMO, Just my opinion.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
TAL,

I am very sorry one of your fish died. Probably the easiest way of closing the gap on tanks where the sealant forces the gap between the filter tower and the glass is by sticking a couple of big sponges behind the filter.

This seams perfect....and easy.

Rana was also a very curious fish.