Synodontis angelicus!!!

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
Ok, I know what you guys are sayin, "This guy is asking about another new fish? Seriously?" But I went to my lfs to get some carbon for one of my filters and I jus happened to come across a new batch of synodontis agelicus just SCREAMING at me. lol. Me and my girlfriend were going to buy one the last time they had them, but we didnt know very much about them and they were 60 bucks. After doing a couple searches on google we went back and they were all gone. So needless to say when I saw them there today, I just had to get one. I am jus wondering if anybody has had these guys in their tanks?? Any experiences or do's and dont's would be great. With a 50 dollar price tag (@3inch) I dont wanna make very many(if any) mistakes. Thanks in advance. I'll try to post a pic as soon as he/she settles.

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
From what I've heard, they're quite shy, get roughly 9" or so and are omni's.
Good luck :3
VERY SHY so far, I thought soimething was wrong with him at first, but he has started to come out after the lights are out. I knew they were nocturnal, but expected it to come out after he settled for couple days like all my other syno's. I had a red tailed shark in the tank i put him in, but the red tail(who was used to being the boss) started to attack him. I had the red tail for about a year and paid like 4 dollars for it. So needless to say, we had to sell the shark to a friend cuz the synodontis angelicus was almost 55 dollars with taxes. No need to put any extra stress on the syno. I plan on having a species of synodontis for each of my tanks. I have 10 multipunctatus and 2 petricola(I suspect these to be lucipinnis) and now the angelicus. Besides the shyness, the angelicus is awesome. When he is out of his "hole", he swims the tank looking like a aquarium sized whale shark. hahaha. It LOVES sitting beside the Starry Night pleco we have in the same tank. It looks awesome because they both have the same colors and spotted pattern. Best impulse buy I have EVER made.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
I don't have any personal experience with them, but I certainly love Syno cats (and I can see you do too!). All of mine, minus my basic Feather fin, are very very shy. I joke that I've had my UD cat for 5 years and I've only seen him twice (not true, maybe 3 times... ;) )! Subdued lighting will probably help if you're trying to get him out. They're really beautiful- I'm envious you came across one!

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
I know. I had a chance to buy one before, but hadnt really looked into them. By the time i researced them and had the money toi buy one, they were all gone. So when I came across another tank full, I snatched the best looking one in the tank. And yes, I do LOVE syno's. I have a bunch as you can see in my signature, and I am tryin to figure out if I can keep a couple angelicus in same tank?? I would like to get the one I have a buddy. Do you know if thats possible?? I know from past experiences that getting a straight answer from google is next to impossible. Lol, most of the time I give up looking for the answer and I just try it out. But with these guys being so expensive, I dont wanna take any risks.

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
OK. Jus a little update, the fish I had originally bought was not doing very well for no fault of mine. I keep my water quality the best I possibly can, and I pride myself on how clean it is. I called the LFS(which happens to be a BIG AL'S in ontario) and explained my worries to them, how he was not coming out at all, and how he was breathing hard almost gasping for air. They had the nerve to accuse me of having bad water. I am a regular at this store, so I knew if I brought the fish back(which was not dead, probably because my water is so clean) and the receipt within 5 days, that they would exchange/return it. I gave them my water sample after the assistant manager tried to tell me again that it was MY water quality. After the testing, the assistant manager who did the test, called another worker over. The other worker then came to me and said that my water was PERFECT, practically drinkable. LOL So they returned the fish and I picked out another one, who was not gasping as the original one did. To my surprise, the fish I returned was put back in the tank and they are gonna sell it to someone else!!! But, since i brought my new fish home, he has been getting more and more comfortable and is starting to come out when the lights are on. He does come out and cruise the tank, mostly when the lights are off for the night. But yeah, problem was solved, well my problem anyways. Now, someone else will have to go through what I did, hopefully they dont get shafted for the 55 dollars the fish was with taxes.

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
And, I kinda answered my own question. The synodontis angelicus I have now is not aggressive to the multipunctatus I put into the tank with him. Hopefully I can find another shop with some angelicus and get another. Very cool fish to have so far, looks amazing in my tank.