SW to FW cleanup

May 30, 2008
Midland, MI
I know this has been posted before, but instead of bringing up a real old thread, I started my own. I bought a 90g SW tank that has been tore down for a few months now. It was not cleaned at all when tore down and the seller left the cleaning to me. I bought some fish safe cleaner at the lfs today, it got most of the algae off the tank, and most of the salt that was stuck to the side, but there remains large calcium deposits on the side of the tank. I have used the stuff from the lfs, vinegar and water, a straight razor(only for a second, then remembered it is an acrylic tank, :confused:). Any other suggestions of what could be used to get these off the tank? Boiling water perhaps? although most of the spots are towards the top of the 28" tall tank. Thats a lot of boiling water to put in there. Any help would be appreciated, I can't even get in the fridge as the cleaning process took place in my kitchen.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
What I did when I had a tank from a saltwater setup was fill it with a mix of water and vinegar (almost a gallon of vinegar in a 72g tank, I think), and let it soak a couple of days. Be careful not to use anything even slightly sharp or rough on acrylic. Get some acrylic-safe scrapers for it.

May 30, 2008
Midland, MI
Once I get a pump for the tank, I will fill it up and let it run. I will put an ample amount of vinegar and hot water and let it soak. I think I will put the heater in too, make the water hot, that should help loosen that stuff up. I did buy some algae pads that are safe for acrylic tanks. I got most of the mess that way, just for the tricky sticky stuff. Thanks for the help.