sump

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
ANyone have any good articals on DIY sumps(or ideas). I need to come up with something that controls and draws the water over the tank and down..without having to spend $70 on bought one.

I was going to use a siphon and pump the water back in...but there is no way to regulate it this way(it siphons faster than it pumps or viseversa)

Thanks 8)

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Here is some ideas:
http://www.ozreef.org/diy/index.html#SUMP

The only thing I can suggest to you is that you need to get an overflow box before you consider a sump.  I have been trying to build my own overflow boxes but it looks ugly and there is always a chance that it might not work and can cause a flood.  Buy an overflow box on ebay for ~40$ and get the biggest flow rate you can.  Get for example a flow that has one inch diameter.  Don't skimp on that because it's important.
O.K.  you stated that you wanted under $70.  Your overflow is already around $40-50.  Your sump can be made for about 20-30$.  Get the largest sump that you can fit under your tank.  I got a 20 rubbermaid container for 7$ or get a used aquarium.  There are fancy ways of putting plexiglass or acrylic baffles for filtration but that requires a little more work and a little more money.  I put a 5 gallon bucket in the sump and drill holes on the side for water to enter the bottom.  You can put media inside with eggcrating to separate if you wish.  Add a submersible pump in the container and your set.  It might look cheap but it works.  

You should try to get an overflow rate that is much faster than your pump return rate because this way you don't pump water in the tank too fast.  Even if you get an overflow box that is too fast, it will stop and break the siphon once you reach a certain level on the overflow box.

BTW, I just installed my first overflow and sump on my aquarium yesterday.  Fun and it's cool because you can put everything in the sump: heater, Co2 reactor, filter media.  

I think amiracle makes the cheapest overflow boxes and should be around $40-50.

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cheap overflows are to be avoided (amiracle, cpr etc.) they get blocked easily and cause spills often. Heard to many horror stories.

Siphon over flow and pump is the way to go. Its so freakin easy to control. You get a overflow the drains water faster than the pump pumps it, therefore its impossible to overflow the sump (as you should have the extra room in case the pump fails in the sump). Then you just a valve on the output (gate, ball whatever you want), then the overflow will slow down. Overflow only flows to match the pumps output, as long as the overflows capacity is higher than that of the pump.

That probably made no sense... does to me :)

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I had a drilled 30 gallon which i took down..and is now the sump. It is hidden under a table next to a couch.

I had a siphon which was faster than the pump. The pump is 265gph. The siphon was a slightly bigger tube than the return. The return would not keep up with the siphon. The only way the return would catch up is when the water level went below the siphon, which then knocked out..filled with air. I can't see where they get the chance to equalize.

I was looking at the marineland one  listed at $69 , rated at 600 gph.The tidepool S.O.S prefilter.

Did not want to purchase this unless I had too. If the pump doesn't pump the water back in fast enough where does it catch up?

By syphon I mean a simple tube in and looped over the back and down to the sump. The return is a smaller tube with a pump.

Thanks

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
That's what my overflow box essentially does for me:  keep the water in the U tube if not enough water is pumped to the tank.  The box in the tank holds the water in for the U tube to maintain siphon action.  Once the pump puts enough water to top over the overflow box then the water fills up in the box again and the action of the siphon continues.
If you have an acrylic tank, you might consider having someone drill it for you or you can do it yourself.  Just need to by a bulkhead fitting.  If your tank is already setup, then buy an overflow.  You can make an overflow out of pvc or acrylic if your handy but there could be risk of flooding if you didn't do a good job.
I have no reason why overflow boxes are so expensive considering it's only a piece of acrylic.  A good overflow box cost as much as a good canister filter. lol

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You can use PVC pipes, acrylic, Lee's breeder boxes, tupperware containers (rectangular).

http://www.reefs.org/diy/index.html  http://www.angelfire.com/ok/dog1/overflow.html